Chapter Seventy Two

I felt Karl's presence before I heard his footsteps approach me. I clipped the last potion onto my belt and put it on, turning around to face him. 

"Hey." I said. He walked over to me with his hands behind his back. 

"Happy Birthday Y/n." Karl said, offering me a smile. I gave him a small smile back. 

"You remembered?" 

"Of course I did." Karl said. He gave me a purple flower. "I know that it's not much but it's pretty hard to find a good place to buy presents around here." I laughed at his lame joke and took the flower. 

"Thank you Karl." I said, genuinely meaning it. No one else had remembered that it was my birthday today, but I didn't blame them. We did have more important things to be working on. 

"God, I can't believe you're 20 already." He said, shaking his head. "Every time I look at you, I still see that young, 9 year-old girl who cried when she didn't get her way." He smiled and looked up at me. "It's hard accepting the fact that you're all grown up."

I nodded, looking down. "Trust me, I didn't want to grow up." I said quietly. 

Karl looked at me with a pained look. "I know." He looked down at his shoes before straightening his posture. "We should, er, go and meet the others now. They're all waiting up there." 

I nodded. "I'll be there in a second." Karl nodded and then hastily left the room. 

I looked down at the single flower that Karl had given me. To anyone else, this would've seemed like a rushed present, a single purple flower that had been picked that morning, but to me it was a very well-thought through gift. I recognized the flower as a purple hyacinth, which symbolized sorrow and regret. I knew that this was Karl's way of apologizing for our argument the other day and him being absent for 9 years. I couldn't help but smile at the flower. 

***************************************************

I felt a tingling sensation as pins and needles crept up my leg from the uncomfortable position that we were all crouched in. We were looking for a way in, preferably one that was undetected, but right now, it seemed impossible. And it wasn't because there were any walls or barriers keeping us out or anything, but because they seemed to have expected us to attack. There were people guarding the entrances. I recognized some of the people - Schlatt, Sapnap, George and Dream. However, there were other people that I haven't met before - a man with black hair and clearly wearing gold underneath his armor and another man with blond hair and grey eyes with a heavy gold chain around his neck. 

I had to give Schlatt some credit - he definitely wasn't as dumb as he looked and acted. He knew that we were going to attack after the whole festival situation and prepared for it, which was more than I expected from him, to be honest. 

Technoblade was leading the team with Wilbur close behind him. The two were whispering to each other about our next move, whether to sneak in somehow or fight our way in. I couldn't care less on how we get in ; I just wanted to get out of this uncomfortable position before my leg goes completely numb. 

"Fucking Shit!"

A loud crack came from behind me and we all turned to face Tommy, who had lost his balance and fallen over. I had to physically stop myself from face-palming as Tommy quickly covered his mouth with his hand, but it was too late. The men patrolling the borders stopped suddenly as they heard it. 

"Did you guys-" Schlatt started.

"Tommy." Dream said. He looked at the others. "They're here."

We all looked to Techno for support and he held up three fingers.