Chapter sixteen

I spent the whole of yesterday, to my dismay, alone in Dream's room. Sapnap came in a few times to talk to me but soon left to go and do something. George didn't come and visit me again and Dream didn't even come in once. I gritted my teeth. He actually had to be here for my plan to work. 

I woke in the middle of the night to find Dream sleeping besides me, his arm wrapped around my waist. I went back to sleep again, but by the time I woke up in the morning, he was gone again. I knew that I had to come up with a reason to make him stay because if he keeps disappearing to, god knows, where, then I would be wasting a lot of time. 

I laid on the bed, staring at the ceiling, wondering how my life became so complex. I wondered whether it would've been simpler if I had stayed with him. I sat up suddenly, mentally slapping myself for even thinking about that. I left for a reason, and I'm definitely not going back. Not that I could anyways.

The door opened and I raised my head slightly to see Dream walking in. He carried my breakfast tray in his hands. He handed it to me without a word and then turned to leave. 

"Where are you going?" I asked. 

He turned back round, his mask slightly daunting. "Why, do you need me to stay?" 

"It would be nice to have someone to talk to." 

"I'm busy, I have things to do."

"Did you not get everything done yesterday?"

"Why do you want me to stay so bad?" 

"Because Dream," I said, "I'm lonely and I need someone to talk to. Otherwise I think I'm gonna go insane."

Dream sighed and sat down opposite me on the bed. "Did captivity really make you this clingy?" 

"Well, I don't exactly have my friends here, so you guys are the closest things I've got." I said simply, taking a bite of my apple.

"You would consider us as your friends?" He said, questioningly.

"Well, one more than the others. Sapnap's definitely becoming a friend and, as it turns out Dream, you aren't the worst person to hang out with. You're pretty bearable, believe it or not." Lies

"I'll take it as a compliment coming from you." He laughed lightly. "What about George?" 

"I'll start liking him when he starts feeding me proper food." I pointed to the plate of carrots and apples.

"You do realize that you are a prisoner, not a queen. You get what you're given." He said. 

"Wow, I just said I thought of you as a friend and you go and call me a prisoner." I said, a hint of mock sadness in my voice. 

"Well..." He looked at me, his mask smiling. "You're definitely the best prisoner I've ever had." 

I scoffed, remembering my escape plan. "Really?" 

"No. Not at all. I'm still pissed at you for burying my own ax into my leg." 

"At least you healed yours with potions and golden apples. Mine still kills." I looked down at my leg. 

"Yeah, well, you deserve it. Think of it as your punishment for trying to escape." 

"So now Tommy dies and I have to be in pain? I take back what I said about you almost being a friend." 

"Why do you have such little faith in Tommy anyways? Ever since I told you about the battle, you just assumed that Tommy would lose. I mean, it's not like he's a bad fighter. Hell, I still remember that cut I got from him on my shoulder in the woods that night." His hand moved to his left shoulder unconsciously. "Do you really not believe in your best friend?"