Chapter Forty One

Tommy cheered loudly and nearly everyone else celebrated along with him. I saw Schlatt go up to Wilbur and passed him a note, still smiling. Wilbur's face fell the moment he read the note and I knew that something was wrong. Terribly wrong. 

Wilbur cleared his throat, signaling for the cheers to die down. They slowly did, and Tommy was the only one still shouting. Wilbur tried to settle him down. 

"We won Wilbur! We won the election!" Tommy shouted happily. Wilbur looks exasperated. 

"Yes, Tommy, well, no-" Wilbur struggled to quiet him down. Tommy went silent at once. 

"What?" He said quietly. "What do you mean 'no'?" 

Wilbur sighed and walked back over to the microphone, his face grave. He took a deep breath and looked straight at me in the audience. 

"I had just been informed that last night, the leaders of the two parties SCHLATT2020 and SAWG2020 had made a deal." I felt my stomach twist. I looked over to Quackity, who was grinning widely. Wilbur continued, his voice deadpan. "They had come to the agreement that, whatever happens, Quackity would pool his votes onto Schlatt's." I could see Tommy shaking his head slightly, as if he wasn't believing what was happening. The people who could do the math quickly in their heads knew what was coming up. Wilbur raised his head, his eyes sad. 

"Meaning that, the winner of the election, with 46%, is SCHLATT2020." 

One percent. Schlatt had beat us by one fucking percent. I looked over to Quackity, a look of betrayal written clear on my face and he saw. He saw me. And he fucking laughed. I felt my fingers reaching for my dagger, desperately wanting to throw it at him.

Karl nudged me and pointed to the stage, where Schlatt was taking Wilbur's place in front of the mic. Very few people clapped, purely and simply out of politeness, but the majority stayed silent. I looked around and saw quite a few looks of anger, not too unlike mine. I turned back round and glared at Schlatt. Behind him, I could see Tommy's face and my heart shattered at the look he wore. I didn't even know how to begin to describe it. Wilbur was trying to get Tommy to get off the stage, but Tommy's feet stayed exactly where they were. 

"Tommy, c'mon-" Wilbur muttered. 

"But- I don't-" Tommy stuttered, not being able to form the words that he wanted to say. Instead, his expression suddenly changed into one that suggested he wanted to strangle Schlatt.

"Schlatt, you bastard! And you." He said angrily. His gaze then averted to Quackity, who was stood behind Schlatt. "You backstabbing, two-faced son of a bitch! I trusted you Big Q!" 

Quackity just shrugged and I felt the anger bubble up inside of me. I went to stand up but Karl tugged on my sleeve and shook his head. On stage, Schlatt laughed. 

"Tommy," He said, his laughter stopping. "Get the hell off my podium." 

Tommy's protests could be heard above Wilbur's attempts who quieten him down. 

"Tommy, we're citizens now. Just listen to Schlatt." He eyed Schlatt before pulling Tommy off the stage. They came over to us and sat down. I could see Tommy shaking next to Tubbo. 

Schlatt clapped his hands together. "Well, that was pretty easy." 

I scoffed. "Easy? You cheated, you dirty ass, lying bastard." 

The silence after I said that was deafening. Everyone looked up at Schlatt to see what he would do, but he just stood there, looking amused. 

"I used tactics. I've been around a long time. I know the tricks." He said, smiling nastily. He turned to face the rest of the audience.