Chapter Fifty Three

Dream's POV

I looked at Wilbur, who was looking back at me with the expression of a madman. I was surprised, actually, that he had stayed sane for so long. The dark circles under his eyes indicated the lack of sleep he had been getting, but his eyes were ablaze, leaving no hints of tiredness in them. 

"What do you need Wilbur?" I asked warily. Wilbur smiled. Not his kind smile that he used to wear in L'manburg, but a crazy, mad smile that I knew too well. I smiled too, but he couldn't see it. I liked this side of him. 

"I need more TNT, Dream." He said. I raised an eyebrow. 

"I already gave you loads. Why do you need more?" 

Wilbur clicked his tongue and laughed to himself. I wonder if anyone else in Pogtopia has realized yet. I knew that Y/n was on the edge of finding out.

"You know why I need it Dream." He said, still smiling. I found this all very amusing. It was like looking into a mirror and seeing my reflection in a different body. I crossed my arms. 

"I have a theory. But I don't understand why you would want to."

Wilbur sighed, and for a moment, let his act down. For the first time this conversation, he looked tired and vulnerable. But the truth was gone as quickly as it had appeared. 

"Dream, I built L'manburg so that my son could live the life that he wants. But now, Fundy is on Schlatt's side and almost killed me." Wilbur stated. His tone showed no emotion but I could sense the sadness in his eyes. "My own son is against me!" He said, his voice suddenly raising. He looked at me.

"I know you want this as much as I do. L'manburg had always been a problem for you." Wilbur smiled manically.

 "Dream, I want to be your vassal."

Y/n's POV 

A few days had passed and Dream was getting noticeably a lot more stressed, the reason still remained unknown to me. He constantly left the house, saying that he had some 'business' to attend to and would only come back even more stressed and angry. No one pointed it out so we didn't talk about it. At first, meals were eaten in an awkward silence, but then Dream never seemed to be home in time for dinner. And he wasn't here tonight either. 

I was on the couch, reading a book, when Dream walked through the front door. I glanced up at the clock on the wall, which told me that it was 9pm. 

"George saved you some dinner. It's in the fridge if you want to heat it up." I said. Dream sighed, taking his mask off and walked over, sitting down next to me. He wrapped his arms around me and, just for a short moment, I closed my eyes, sinking into his embrace. He rested his chin on the top of my head. 

"I'm not hungry." He said. I looked up. 

"Where were you tonight?" I asked. It was the first time that anyone had had the balls to confront him and he looked surprised. 

"Well, tonight, I was with Wilbur and the others." He said. "And they think it's time that I returned you to Pogtopia." There was a tiny bit of bitterness in his voice that told me that he didn't want me to return. I wasn't even sure myself. 

Of course I wanted to go back. I mean, as lovely as it is here with Dream, Sapnap and George, I wanted to be included in the revolution. But, going back also meant facing Wilbur, and I didn't know how I would do that. 

"When am I going back then?" I asked. He sighed again. 

"They want you back tomorrow morning." He answered. I nodded slightly and the both of us stayed silent for so long that I thought he had fallen asleep. 

"Dream?" My voice felt weird after being quiet for so long. 

"Mhm?" So he hadn't fallen asleep. 

"Where were you all those other nights?" I knew he hadn't been in Pogtopia all those other times. Wilbur and the others decided to send me to Dream's so that I could be under his protection. I was sure that they wouldn't ask Dream to spend so much time away from me. 

Dream stayed silent for a while. So silent it hurt my ears. Finally, he answered. 

"I don't want to lie to you. But you won't like the answer."

"You don't have to sugarcoat anything for me." 

"I was with Schlatt." He said. "Schlatt keeps trying to win me back over to his side. He knows that I'm helping you and he wants to know your location."

I frowned. "You're not going to give anything away, are you?" 

He kissed the top of my head. "Of course not."

"Then why do you keep agreeing to meet him?" 

He sighed. "You're not going to like this either." 

"I literally survived being tortured. I can handle it." 

"Schlatt threatened to kill Niki if I didn't meet him when he requested. He knows that you two are close and he knows that I care about you."

That son of a bitch. 

"Is she okay? Niki, I mean." 

"Schlatt hasn't done anything to her. He won't get the chance to either. Niki escaped Manburg this morning and is now hiding in Pogtopia with the rest of us."

I sat up a bit straighter, looking at Dream. "She's going to be there tomorrow? Like, I'm gonna see her tomorrow?"

Dream couldn't help but laugh at my excitement. He cupped my face in his hands. 

"Yes." 

He slowly pulled me in and connected our lips. One of his hands was on my face, holding it gently and his other hand was on mine.

"Gross. Please, get a room you two." A very disgusted George stood in the doorframe with a tub of ice-cream. Me and Dream pulled apart while he walked across the room and up the stairs as quickly as he could without trying to make it seem obvious that he was hurrying. Dream readjusted his position, lying down a little and I laid on top of him, my head on his chest, our legs tangled. We lay there, quietly, just enjoying each other's company. From somewhere upstairs came a shout from George, followed by laughter from Sapnap but they sounded so far away, like on a different planet. It was comfortable, feeling Dream's chest rise and fall as he breathed and, for a moment, I caught a glimpse of what it would be like living in my dream cottage.

Dream's POV

I couldn't explain what it was like holding her in my arms. For most people, they normally expected love to appear somewhere along their path in life. Not me. I had never been a romantic. When I looked into the future, I thought I was going to be stuck in my village for the rest of my life with my family and if you had told me that I was going to fall in love, I wouldn't have believed it. I had seen my parents and they had been in love, but it came so naturally to them that I thought they were just born married. I had seen the way they looked at each other and the way my mother smiled when Dad placed a kiss on her cheek, but now, I realize I was only looking. Now, I feel what it's like too. I gazed into the fireplace, watching the little flames dance around each other, in a way that seemed rehearsed to make it seem beautiful and perfect. 

"Y/n?" I murmured softly. She made a small, sleepy noise. 

"I love you." 

When there was no answer, I looked down and saw that she had fallen asleep.