Make You Happy

As I sat at my desk with my head in my hands, it hanging over the keyboard of my laptop, I sighed through my nose in frustration. I barely heard my six-year old daughter tip-toe into my room.

"Daddy? Where's Mom?" she asked quietly, holding a handful of her little Princess and the Frog nightshirt in one fist.

"She's at Aunt Lizzy's wedding, remember?" I replied with a soft and tired smile, hitting save on my half-edited draft and closing the laptop.

"Oh... I wish she was here." Kayla replied, shuffling closer to me and laying her head on my lap as I scooted the chair away from my writing desk.

"I do too, baby. But she'll be home in a week or so. Then she can dance with you again, and make better meals." I chuckled in amusement, stroking her hair softly and smiling down at her as she caught herself from sucking on her thumb.

"That's not why I miss her right now." She answered, standing up to crawl into my lap and curl up on it. I wrapped my arms around her.

"Why do you miss her then?" I questioned, as she took one of my hands and began playing with my fingers.

"Because she makes you happy when you're angry with your writing. Mommy says, and so does Darren that when you get angry with your writing she hugs you and says she loves you, then makes you some pizza roles and makes it all better. I can't make pizza roles yet." Kayla explained, looking up at me and dropping my hand, wrapping her little arms around me and hugging me as best she could.
"So I love you, Daddy. You'll get it done in time." She looked up at me with her big green eyes with a proud little smile and I couldn't help but grin and hug her back tightly.

"Love you too baby girl. Thank you." I kissed her cheek and picked her up, heading out of the room.

"Where are we going, Daddy? It's bedtime."

"I'm gonna make us some pizza roles first."