Forgive Me

The young man walked down the thin strip of land through the middle of the still, flat pond.

He could almost hear the voices of the people who had guided him throughout his life behind and in front of him.

He stopped at the end of the strip of land, closing his eyes and tilting his head backwards. The shadows of the trees foliage above him scattered on his face as he listened to his loved ones.

Soon the voices faded and he looked back down to his bare feet, studying them in contemplation of the path before him.

He leaned forward in the slightest and looked into the water.

The surface of it was dementedly deceiving, and looked beautiful and peaceful. But underneath the surface he saw vicious, hateful creatures lurking and gliding around in the cool water. He couldn't quite tell what they were, or try and describe them, for their forms were constantly changing and morphing.

Demons, was the best way he could think to describe them.

He looked back to his feet, leaning back with a look of blatant disgust.

He didn't want to go under with the demons. They would hurt him, torment him like they had to so many others before him. He saw their bones and corpses under the surface with them.

He swallowed heavily and clenched his fists and set his jaw, looking up to the sky once again. He knew he had no choice. He deserved it. All he had done... This was a rightful punishment. He knew he had done wrong. He only wished there was someone to listen to his apologies and pleas of forgiveness.

But, as he knew well, there wasn't. There was only him, his punishment, and no way out.

He took a heavy breath and looked down into the water, where the demons were swarming at the edge of the land he was on.

He grimaced and felt emotions rising up. A tear fell into the water and the demons fought over a place to investigate the disturbed water.

He wished he could be there for his little girl.

He wished he could be there for his dying mother.

He wished he could see his little brother one more time, and his little twin niece and nephew.

He wished for a second chance, even though he knew it was in vain.

He decided to get it over with and quit postponing the inevitable.

He took in a deep, shaky breath as more and more tears spilled out. He put his arms out on either side of him and stood at the edge of the land. He closed his eyes and looked straight ahead as the demons nipped unsuccessfully as his toes.

He swallowed heavily once again and uttered out his final, shaky words.

"Forgive me."

He jumped into the water that would soon become his grave, and hell.