HTLA Chapter Three

(Third Person POV: )

221A BAKER STREET

John was sitting at Mrs. Hudson’s kitchen table. She loudly slammed down a small tray containing a cup and saucer and a jug of milk, then went across the room to pick up a plate of biscuits, which she equally loudly slammed down onto the table. John watched her silently while she picked up a sugar bowl and thumped that onto the table. She hesitated, and then pointed at the sugar bowl.

“Oh no – you don’t take it, do you?” she asked, sounding a bit unsure.

“No,” John answered, peering at her.

“You forget a little thing like that,” she continued.

“Yes,” he confirmed.

“You forget lots of little things, it seems,” she said pointedly.

“Uh-huh.”

Mrs. Hudson pointedly ran her finger between her nose and her upper lip while looking at John.

“Not sure about that,” she added. John reached up to touch his moustache. “Ages you.”

“Just trying it out,” John said, a bit tiredly.

“Well, it ages you,” she reiterated, making it very clear that she didn’t like it. John looked awkwardly at her.

“Look...” he began, but he was cut off.

“I’m not your mother. I’ve no right to expect it...” Mrs. Hudson continued.

“No...”

“...but just one phone call, John.” Her anger dissipated and she looked upset. “Just one phone call would have done.”

“I know.” He looked down.

“After all we went through,” she sounded not only sad but slightly offended.

“Yes. I am sorry,” he said flatly but sincerely, looking her in the eye.

“Look, I understand how difficult it was for you after... after...” the landlady began, sitting down across from him. She stopped, shaking her head sadly. Before either of them could say anything a door slammed upstairs. They both looked towards the noise and Mrs. Hudson looked to John to see his reaction.

There was loud clumping on the stairs before the door opened. Alice came in, wearing Sherlocks red bathrobe and jeans with a t-shirt. Her hair had been cut short- to her chin. She looked tired, and she was holding a pack of cigarettes in her hand and a lighter in the other.

“I’m going out for-” she began talking but she stopped when she saw John and she stood up straighter. “John.”

“Alice,” John said in a bit of surprise, looking at her new appearance. “You live here?”

“I haven’t seen you in just over a year and that’s what you say?” she scoffed, folding her arms. John sighed and looked to Mrs. Hudson.

“As I was about to say; I just let it slide. I let it all slide. And it just got harder and harder to pick up the phone somehow.” Sighing, he looked away for a moment, and then turned his eyes back to Alice’s. “I couldn’t answer. D’you know what I mean?” After a moment, Mrs. Hudson sighed too and reached out to put her hand on his arm. He immediately put his hand over hers. Alice lowered her gaze and just walked out.

MYCROFT’S OFFICE

Sherlock’s hair was now dry and curly, and he was on his feet and almost dressed. He tucked his shirt into his trousers while he looked at himself in a large mirror on the wall. Mycroft and not-Anthea stood nearby.