Math, Life, and Me

Okay.

So, I'm homeschooled.

I'm supposed to be in ninth grade but I'm still doing 8th grade science, history, and language.

In math I am still in the beginnings of pre-algebra. Like, 6th or 7th grade level.

I SUCK at math.

Well, I don't, I understand everything, I just don't WANT to understand.

See, the way my mind works... The way my mind works, I don't want to and can't easily learn something I see no use in.

Now, I understand that math is very important. It is. It's essential and you do need to know it, but only up to a point.

The things I need to learn in math are as follows:

A: Addition

B: Subtraction

C: Multiplication

D: Division

E: Percentages/Fractions/Ratios

F: Maybe some Geometry

And guess what? I know all those. Surprise surprise.

I don't need to know algebra and trigonometry and all that stuff.

My father. A college and high school graduate; doesn't use either of those two things up there. He hates doing it.

My mother. A high school and college graduate; doesn't use either of those things. She hates it.

My dad works as a station manager in an air cargo freight company thing. He doesn't use it.

My mom works as an accountant. You pay your water bills and such to her. She still doesn't use it.

And you know what?

Neither of them think I need to know it either.

My dad couldn't care less about my math education. I know the basics. I know what my parents do.

And this isn't a lazy, stupid teenager speaking.

You all know me! You know I'm intelligent. Not to brag or be mean but I have more common sense than the average teenager nowadays and I know it.

And you know what else?

I'm not going to finish high school.

I'm not going to go to college.

I'm going to get a General Education Document (GED) when I turn sixteen in two years, and be done with school and focus on my writing, and a job.

You know what else?

I already have a job! I have a thousand dollars in my savings, over seven hundred dollars for spending (AFTER I have already paid tithes and savings AND my own phone bill) and I get one hundred and fifty dollars every week!

I already have a car, which I am fixing up to sell for a profit of two thousand dollars this Summer before we move and after I get my permit.

Then when I do move I am going to get another job and continue to save money for my future.

Do you know what my future plans are?

I'm going to get a job that can pay for a small apartment for one person, while I write and focus on improving and publishing if I can. I'll most likely try and teach writing as a college course or work as a barista or journalist or something. I don't care. I don't have a dream job.

Until I get married that is. Then I will get a job or stay home and watch my kids and writing will be a hobby.

Then I will grow old and happy with my husband, living close enough to my parents so they can visit and see their grandchildren and vice versa.

Then I will die happy.

That is my ideal future. Peaceful and simple.

I realise it will most likely not go exactly according to plan.

But hey. I've got enough education without algebra and trigonometry to make it in life!

So there! THAT is my reason for not doing my math.

Boom.

Also, side note, I will be studying for my GED after I turn fifteen, so from August 30th of 2014 to 2015, I will be doing whatever math is required.

But still. You get my point, right?

Good.

I made it very clear.

Rant over.