the end

three years later!

"I'm nervous."

"There's no reason to be," Livi reassures. "What did you tell him?"

Juno keeps her eyes peeled for her second luggage bag as the conveyor belt slides slowly along. The building is crowded, announcements reverberating from overhead as people hustle around. Juno loves the atmosphere of airports.

She returns her attention to the call. "I told him I'd finally be coming back for his birthday. That was about two weeks ago. Then I called on Sunday to say I couldn't make it because of school."

Livi laughs. "You're evil."

"I feel terrible," Juno confesses. Her bright purple bag finally appears, and she strides over to the belt to haul it off. "It'll be worth it in the end. Hopefully."

"It will." Livi's tone is confident.

Juno moves her things towards the back corner, out of the way of people who are yet to retrieve their own luggage. "Anyway, what about you? How's Paris and the fashion industry?"

She can hear the wistful smile in Livi's voice. "It's... nice. I'm learning a lot, even picking up the language."

"Are you making new friends?"

"Yes, mom."

"Good. Just don't replace us."

"Never." Livi pauses. "I miss having all of us together."

"So do I." Livi had visited Seoul last month to reunite with the rest, but Juno hadn't been ready for that, so she hadn't been there. She'd visited Livi in Paris before, during the three years she was away, but hadn't gone back to Korea at all during that time.

"By the way, I saw Rei before I left."

Juno stills. "You did? How is she? Is she doing okay?"

"She's doing good." Juno can hear her smile. "Discharging her might be a possibility soon, even if they're still trying to figure out how things will go from there."

"That's good." Tears prick the corners of Juno's eyes. "I actually kind of miss her."

There's another pause on the other end. "Me, too."

Juno checks her watch, straightens from where she's leaning against the wall, and begins walking to Arrivals, her cork wedges making a dull sound against the floor. She realizes she needs both hands to wheel out her luggage, so she bids the other girl a quick goodbye. "I have to go. Call tomorrow?"

"Sure. Have fun."

"Don't worry, we'll come see you very soon." Juno smiles, even if Livi can't see. "Bye, love you!"

"Love you more, talk later!"

Juno shoves her phone into her purse and resumes walking. When she finally comes upon the open space with an "ARRIVALS" sign boldly stamped overhead, she pushes her large sunglasses up onto her head to browse the space better.

"Juju!" A voice, familiar even though she's never heard it in person, calls out to her.

"Kenny!" The much taller girl barrels into her, almost knocking Juno off her feet with her enthusiasm. "Oh my God, hi!"

"Hey!" Kennedy Seo looks down at her, lips quirking. "You're even tinier in real life!"

"We get it, you're tall," Juno grumbles, scowling. "Where's the boyfie?"

As if on cue, Jung Sungchan strides up to them. Kennedy rolls her eyes affectionately. "It's entirely his fault that we were almost late."

"I didn't know when we were supposed to leave. That's on you." Sungchan rolls his eyes back at his girlfriend, then turns to Juno. An amused smile draws up the corners of his lips. "You're small."