Chapter 53

Hades opened the door to his designated bedchambers in the deserted wing of the Olympian Palace, and stepped aside awkwardly to let Persephone enter before him. He watched as she moved around the bedchambers in silence, not even stealing a glance at him. His desperate eyes were hungry for the sparkle in her magical emerald eyes, but they remain trained on the floor at all times.

Persephone had been quiet and pliant from the moment they left the Underworld, and that unnerved him. He craved for her infectious vitality, her fire. She's not right, the desire to comfort her was strong, but he steeled himself stubbornly. Bastard, you did this to her, the bitter voice in his head interjected himself.

"Persephone," Hades called slowly, and she froze. Her face turned towards him, but her eyes studied his golden-sandaled feet. Look at me, wife, please, he begged in his head. They stood in silence for what felt like hours. "I need to go," he blurted, Persephone merely nodded. He frowned in frustration, but turned to walk towards the door.

With one foot out of the door, Hades turned towards Persephone. "It is my wish that you should not restrict yourself from any form of amusement available. Your friends and family are here. You should immerse yourself in their company," his quiet voice said slowly, his steady composure masked his desperation. What about the company of her husband? asked the voice in his head. With eyes still cast down, Persephone nodded silently. Deeply frustrated, Hades walked out, slamming the door behind him.