Chapter 39

Psykhe watched Zephyros took off into the heavens until he was gone from her sight. Then, she turned towards her sisters. She opened her arms, a big smile plastered on her face. 

"Psykhe!" both Akantha and Melantha cried, running into their sister's arms. They cried and laughed in embrace. When they pulled away from each other, they wiped the tears away from each other's faces. 

"I miss my sisters. Come, lets go to my old bedchambers. There is much to talk about," Psykhe said, pulling her sisters' hands. She bowed to her silent parents, linked arms with her sisters and walked happily towards her old room.

Psykhe lay in the middle of her old bed, with her sisters' heads pillowed on each of her breasts. "We miss you so much, Psykhe," Akantha said softly, "I miss you too, both of you," she replied. 

"We are still grieving over your death," Melantha whispered, and Psykhe kissed the top of her head. 

"I'm sorry," she said slowly, "It's not your fault," Akantha draped her arm over Psykhe's belly.

Melantha wiped Psykhe's tears away, Akantha looked up to her. "What happened to you?" the eldest asked the youngest, and Psykhe thought back to the moment she was standing by the rocky cliffs of Mount Sipylus. 

"I was so lonely, so depressed. I remembered that I closed my eyes and took the plunge, wanting nothing else but death. Then I started thinking how long do I fall before I feel it? Will it hurt? All these thoughts shouting in my head, I can't bear it and I opened my eyes. Instead of falling, I was soaring in the air! It's only at that moment that I am aware of the body that I was leaning in to, the arms that wrapped around me so protectively," Psykhe said, her eyes bright. 

"You're aware? You mean you felt it?" Melantha asked, Psykhe nodded. 

"I felt him but I can't see him. He was invisible," she answered, smiling. 

"Him?" Melantha asked again, frowning. 

Psykhe nodded, "Lord Zephyros," she said. 

"He was invisible to you before?" Melantha frowned, "Yes. It was only earlier today that he granted me his visibility," Psykhe replied.