Chapter 7

Persephone ran as fast and as far as she can. Out of breath, she threw herself on a bed of crocuses that she grew last week. Laying on her back, panting hard, she touched her lips. They were hot, and she knew it wasn't from her perspiration. With his icy façade, Persephone had half-expected his lips would be cold. They were soft, warm – no, scorching hot even – like they were on fire for the same reason that her lips were burning. "Oh Aphrodite, what did I just do?" she asked to herself, trying to make sense of what possessed her to be so daring. She giggled. She put her hands on her forehead, and sighed dreamily.

"Kore?" a nymph was peeking through the tree. "Minthe!" exclaimed Persephone.

"What are you doing here? Wait, why are you all flushed? Are you feeling well, Kore?" the little concerned nymph asked. "Never better," Persephone answered with a big bright smile.

"Really?" Minthe asked slowly with a smile, an eyebrow arched. Persephone heaved a contented sigh. Minthe continued to watch her friend. "If I didn't know better, you looked like you've been shot by Eros' arrow," she tested. "Oh Minthe, no Eros, no arrows," showing the nymph that her body has no arrow wounds. "I'm just excited for my installation. I'm the eldest of my generation, and I am just getting installed. Finally, I don't have to be so self-conscious when I'm at Olympus. Though, I'm far from reaching the same ranks as Artemis and Athena," Persephone continued.

"If your mother had not been hiding you in her shadows, I'm sure you are in no way lower than them. In fact, even now, I think you are stronger than you know. You're just sheltered and... shy?" Minthe tried to be encouraging.

"You're too sweet, Minthe. Thank you so much, my friend. I don't mind - I know, I know, really – I understand why my mother did what she did. I mean... I'm bored out of my wits most of the time, but I'm not angry. Earlier when I was younger, maybe – yes. But I can understand now. And yes, I understand that it does not make it fair for me. But she's my mother, the sun to my flowers," Persephone contemplated.

Minthe looked at her friend. Demeter had taken her in, and she's grateful. But after a while, she suspected that Demeter's spite against the King of the Underworld might have something to do with Demeter taking her in. If it had not been for sweet Persephone, Minthe could not imagine living anywhere near Demeter for long.

"Apollo will be there," said Minthe, trying to lighten the mood.

Persephone scowled. "Minthe! No, not Apollo!" replied the horrified flower goddess; Minthe rolled her eyes. "What? He's divine!" she answered innocently. "No, he's too... full of himself," Persephone said slowly with a scrunched up nose. They looked at each other and burst into fits of laughter. Persephone laughed until her sides hurt. "Aren't they all?" Minthe pointed out, and they burst out laughing again.

When their laughter subsided, they relaxed in silence. All of them? she thought, though she knew the answer to her own question. Not all of them; she knew one that are not like any of them.

"Not all of them though," Minthe suddenly voiced. "Hmm?" Persephone turned to her side, looking at Minthe expectantly. "Not all of them. There is one, different. Never boastful, and yet, so powerful," Minthe said, and heaved a heavy sigh. Persephone looked at her nymph friend. Is she talking about him? she thought. But she dared not ask, in case of Minthe getting suspicious and will start to interrogate her.

"Hermes then?" Minthe joked, startling Persephone. "Minthe, stop!" she giggled, slapping her friend's arm lightly.

"Kore!" came a voice. At the sound of Demeter's voice, both of the giggling maidens stopped.

* * *

"Minthe, thank you for tending to the poplar trees so diligently," said a low velvet voice; Minthe beamed. "It is my pleasure, Your Grace," she answered happily. With that, the owner of the voice turned his back to walk back to his palace. She watched his back dreamily.