Chapter 26

Persephone was restless, and too exhausted to cry anymore. She watched her sleeping husband, watching his chest rose and dropped evenly. Maybe I need to take a walk, she thought to herself. She stood up, her eyes fell upon the wretched kopis on the black marble floor. Tearing a piece of fabric from the skirts of her chiton, she wrapped it around the cursed kopis. She walked out of their bedchambers and walked aimlessly through the palace, clutching the wrapped weapon close to her bosom.

Unconsciously, Persephone stood outside her old private bedchambers; having not seen the inside of it since the morning of her gamos. She opened one of the elaborate doors and stepped inside, and a tidal wave of emotions crashed through her. Walking around the heavenly rosy chamber, she ran her fingertips over everything. A smile crossed her face when she recalled a memory. 

She walked towards her golden four-poster bed to run her fingers on the blush silk bedding. Without thinking, she slid the wrapped kopis under her thick soft mattress; unable to justify even to herself why she felt the need the to hide the poisoned weapon that has injured her husband.

Persephone slid out of her torn chiton, and dove into the pool. The cooling water soothed her tensed muscles and chaotic mind, and she was finally able to breathe evenly. She floated on the surface of the waters, smelling faint scent of fresh spicy cypresses. Aidoneus' scent still lingers in here, she smiled. Suddenly, she felt a rush of great energy surged through her; immense relief washed over her as she felt the last remaining effects of the epoidai in Hades gone.

Persephone got out of the pool, elated and anxious. Resolved to look her best when Hades open his eyes, she remembered that the Lampades had given her a wedding gift for her epaulia. They assured her that Hades will absolutely worship her in it but they warned her not to let anyone else sees her in it, lest Hades will hurl them into Tartarus. Persephone was confused by what they meant before, and did a quick search around her bedchambers and found the gift from the Lampades tucked away neatly in her ivory chest. She opened the box slowly and took out its contents, and laid them on her bed carefully – two thin pieces of crimson silk, one clearly much narrower than the other, and two strings of crimson tainiai. She figured out that the narrow piece of silk is to cover her front, while the other for her back. The two string of tainiai are the only two things that will hold the two pieces of silk securely together on her body.

Looking at her reflection in the copper mirror, Persephone gasped loudly; she looked positively scandalous. The narrow piece of silk managed to cover only two-thirds of her front. The two strings of tainiai zig zagged between the two pieces of silk that goes down only to her hips, her creamy skin underneath clearly visible. Now she understood what the Lampades meant when this piece of clothing was meant for Hades' eyes only. She loosely braided the top half of her hair, letting her soft russet curls fall at her back. From her fingertips, she commanded tiny blue violets, which she put in her braids.