Chapter 57

"Son of Poseidon!" cried a smooth voice, and Eumolpos turned. "Son of Apollo!" he greeted back with the same enthusiasm, and Orpheus laughed a vibrant laugh. They grasped each other's hands by the wrists in greeting, and Eumolpos pulled his friend into an amicable embrace. 

"Congratulations, my friend," Orpheus offered, as they both made their way towards a big table full of festive spread fit for royalties such as them. "Thank you," Eumolpos said, handing a kantharos of wine to his friend.

"So, where's the happy couple?" the handsome Argonaut asked his red-haired host, and Eumolpos pointed to his thirteen-year-old son and his eleven-year-old bride, as he sipped his wine with a smirk. Orpheus let out a small chuckle, shaking his head and raising his kantharos to Eumolpos.

"I wonder, my friend, what's the point of pawning off your boy?" Orpheus probed, his curious eyes gleamed. Eumolpos' green eyes darted towards King Tegyrios, who were sitting on his throne atop a dais; Orpheus's eyes followed Eumolpos' gaze. "Never took you for the enterprising type," the poet mocked, with an amused brow cocked. Eumolpos laughed, putting his kantharos down. 

"Easy for you to say. You're a hero, bestowed with your father's gifts and beauty," sneered the Son of Poseidon; both princes laughed and raised their kantharoi.

"Desperate times call for desperate measures," Eumolpos explained vaguely, exhaling a heavy sigh. Looking at his friend's intent gaze, he elaborated, "I'm a man without a country." Orpheus leaned forwards, his face all scrunched up in a frown. 

"So the tales are true?! You forced yourself upon your sister's wife, and was banished from Aithiopia?!" Orpheus asked in shock, his jaw dropped. 

"Yes... well, she was the sister that I wanted to marry in the first place," mumbled Eumolpos bitterly, rapping his knuckles on the solid table top. 

"Benthesikyme and Enalos reared you since you were a babe, and gave you one of their daughters as-" Orpheus drawled, his voice thick with incredulity; but Eumolpos repeated, "She was the sister that I wanted to marry."