Chapter 71

Hekate stood like a statue as she looked on the god of her dreams on the stage, his long deft fingers plucked the strings of his lyre, creating the sweetest notes she has ever heard. She was captivated, feeling like the song was for her. It's for Persephone, she reminded herself, and felt tremors quaked in her. She took a deep breath, balling her hands at her sides in a bid to restrain her tears from falling. She let out a ragged breath just as the song ended.

Hermes quickly stepped off the stage, and stalked towards her in long strides. Hekate turned on her heels swiftly, and started to march away. "My Lady Hekate," cried the Messenger, but Hekate marched on, ignoring him. 

He kept calling out to her, but the pounding of her heart in her ears blocked out his voice. A strong hand suddenly grabbed her by the wrist, forcing her to stop.

"Pompaios!" Hekate cried, startled and breathless. 

"If I didn't know better, I'd say you're running away from me," he said, his grip on her wrist did not slackened. 

"Of course not, my lord. Why would I run away from you?" she said serenely, her voice quickly recomposed. 

"I don't know. Disgust. Contempt. Denial. All three of them and more. Take your pick, my lady," Hermes replied, Hekate gasped out loud, stumped. 

"Ah, so it's all three and more. Understood," he gritted, red-faced; he turned around and walked away. 

Hekate watched the back of him, panic making a mess in her. "None!" she shouted, Hermes froze in his tracks. "None," she repeated, softer; he turned around. 

"More like unfitting. Uninspiring. Disappointing. I am. For you," she confessed; Hermes' face tightened, aflame with incredulity. 

Is she mad?! "What?!" he hissed in disbelief, rooted to his spot. 

"Forget it," Hekate's soft voice said dejectedly, and walked away.

Unbeknownst to them both, three pair of eyes have been watching them closely. Morpheus, Hypnos and Thanatos exchanged knowing looks between them, but the looks were instantly gone when Hekate made her way towards them.