1:THIRTYONE

▪︎

▪︎

A sharp pain suddenly hit Vienna, causing her to gasp. Her eyes darted around in alarm as her hand moved to her torso, wondering if anyone had noticed her little outburst. She gritted her teeth as she moved away from the busy area of the courtyard, and moved into an abandoned hallway relatively far away from everyone.

The girl leant against the wall as the waves of pain travelled up her body, and her fingers hastily moved to pull up her shirt.

"Shit," Vienna muttered, her eyes widening as they fell on the sight of the black veins travelling in all directions from the wound. She let out another choked gasp as more waves of pain hit, and quickly pulled out the half full vial of zanbaq that she had left over from before.

She clenched her teeth in pain as she dumped all of it straight onto her skin, which almost immediately relieved some of the pain. To her dismay, it hadn't taken away as much pain as she had hoped, with the scratch still throbbing with mild pain. She didn't know how long she could get away with hiding it, but she knew for a fact that her father would attempt to sideline her if he found out.

With a sigh, Vienna pulled down her shirt and tossed the empty vial into the bin, before walking back down the hallway and towards the main part of the courtyard. The sight of Farah pacing forced the shadow fairy to slow down in her tracks, her brows furrowing together as she took in the nervous look on the woman's face.

"Auntie F?" she called out, causing the older woman to look up at her. "What's wrong?"

A small smile appeared on Farah's face, one that didn't reach her eyes. "Nothing's wrong Vie, I'm just concerned about whether the doors will hold."

"I know about Aster Dell, and I know about Rosalind," the younger girl revealed, causing a surprised expression to form on Farah's face. "Dad told me. What's wrong?"

Farah ran a hand down her face as she leaned against the wall, her eyes cast off into the distance. "Bloom let Rosalind out from the magical cage she was kept in. It's not a coincidence that the barrier is failing, Rosalind is draining the magic from the Stone Circle."

"Oh no," Vienna breathed out, her mind racing. It was bad enough that Burned Ones were threatening to break into the academy, but if they were aided by a powerful fairy.. They would have no chance. Her eyes narrowed slowly as a realising thought passed over her. "Are you telling me Bloom is the reason why the Burned Ones have made it past the barrier?"

"I'm afraid so. It appears the Burned Ones are after her too."

"You've got to be joking," the girl muttered as she threw her hands in the air in annoyance. "Is chucking her out of the building an option?"Farah shot her a disapproving stare. "Just joking. Mostly."