Eagle Eyes

'To family!' Abeonim said as he raised his glass in front of everyone. Yejin's cousins were all there, and we followed what he did. We drank everything that was on our glass and I felt the liquor burning my throat. It has been a long time since I had my heydays on drinking, and ever since that night that my wife got so angry at me, I actually refrained from drinking especially when she is not around.

I know my limits when it comes to alcohol, so I told myself that I would only be drinking what I could handle. I have a glass of water beside me so I could easily flush out the spirit of liquor that I have consumed. Seok Jin, her first cousin who actually became my first buddy when I came here, came up to me and asked me something.

'Tae Pyung, is my cousin not allowing you to drink?' he asked as he brought over a bottle of scotch, ready to pour onto my glass.

I smiled at him and replied. 'Oh no, she doesn't. Just that I know my limits and if I do pass it I actually become someone else. I don't want my kids to see me that way.'

It was true. I don't want my kids to think that Appa can be really crazy and funny when he is drunk. As a father, I wanted to be someone my kids can look up to. I may not be perfect, but I strive to become the best that there is for my family. Besides, I didn't want people to see that side of me that I have already left ever since I decided to pursue Yejin.

It was a guy's night, and exchanging stories about being in the military was the highlight. My father in law told everyone that I was a former Marine too, and how I got an excellence award for being a marksman during my stay in the field. I felt shy at it, but then I understood how proud he must have been of me. And as a son in law, it was such great pride for me.

We then called it a night as Abeonim was too drunk already, I had to help him climb up the steps. When I brought him to their room, I found Pooh watching TV with his halmeoni, as this is how our setup is whenever we are here. Pooh sleeps with the grandparents. I wonder if Lilo will do the same when she gets bigger.

'Appa, why is halaeboji asleep?' Pooh asked when he saw his grandfather that way.

'Aigoo, Ji Hwan,' my mother in law said. 'He is actually drunk.'

Pooh's eyes widened and asked what it was. I smiled at him and said.

'I will tell you tomorrow what drunk is.' I am just hopeful he won't ask his halmeoni about it.

'Thank you, Tae Pyung for bringing him here,' Eommoni said. I smiled and bowed to her, but then Pooh covered his nose and blurted out.

'You smell funny, halabeoji,' he said. My mother in law chuckled and asked him if he still wants to sleep with them. Pooh nodded and I felt relieved, as I can have his mother alone in bed. Lilo is tucked in a crib a few steps away from us.

'Good night, buddy,' I said as I kissed him before I went out. Pooh whispered something in my ear that made me realize something.

'Appa, you smell funny too,' he said, covering his nose the second time. I then went out and decided to shower first before I head on to my wife's room. As I stepped out of it, I only wore a towel covering my lower body and entered the room half naked. Yejin, who was already in bed reclining, widened her eyes at the sight and asked me.

'Why are you clothed that way?'

I could only smile as I decided to tease her. Smiling naughtily, I went to her and gave her a look in the eye.

'Why, can't my wife see me half-naked?' I asked as I gave her forehead a kiss, which actually traveled to her lips and went with a softer one.

'Baby, I need to talk to you,' she said, as she pulled away and hovered her lips on mine.