The Storm

"Jeju Island would be having cloudy skies over the weekend, and a possible storm may come likewise. For those in the area, we ask you to please stay safe, as this weather occurrence may incur damages to properties."

Bin looked outside their rented villa and ruled out that they couldn't just go home immediately. They didn't see this coming, as the forecasted storm was didn't occur to them as damaging as they thought it would be.

He was wrong.

"Baby, I think it's best if we call back in Seoul. Let's tell them that we can't make it home in time," Yejin muttered over his shoulder. He glanced back at her, worry evident on her face. He turned around and gave her a hug.

"Yeah, let's do that. Are you scared?" he asked as he rubbed her back, sending soothing touches to the lady with him.

"A bit. For the kids," she replied as she buried her face on his chest. Bin sighed, but if there was something he was thankful about, it's that his family is with him this time. He swore under his breath that he would go crazy if he was alone and they are on different places.

Over a week ago, they caught their son Ji Hwan having a nightmare. It was probably an outcome of the hostage crisis that their school got into. Physical classes were put on hold right after the incident, and as they shifted to online classes, the storm came haunting them in Jeju Island. The couple agreed on taking a break for the moment, and while Yejin was in the middle of filming her new drama, the director was kind enough to finish her scenes on days she would be available.

"Appa, is the bad guy coming to get me?"

This question lingered in Bin's mind the whole time that night after he put his son to sleep. He wondered how much the boys saw during the ordeal, and even when they were talking about it rather comically, in his mind he knows that there is something else that was running through his son's mind. Just that, he was too young to say what it was. He may not know how to express it the right way.

The following morning, as Bin woke up, he noticed that the bed was empty. Yejin's scent lingered as he tossed to her side and as he snuggled with her pillow, he began to miss her. It may sound a bit crazy because just last night she comforted him as he went through the events that turned out. He sighed, and came to a decision to give themselves a break for the time being.

He got up and made their bed, before he went to wash up. When he opened the bathroom door, there she was, standing in front of the mirror, eyes puffy red from crying. He immediately went to where she was and gave her a hug. Their day had quite a rough start.

"What happened?" he asked as he gently swayed her from side to side.

Yejin couldn't control her sobs any longer and held on to him. He closed his eyes and made her feel that he was just there. A few minutes had passed before she replied to him.

"My heart just breaks seeing him like that last night. I wonder what he went through at school," she replied as she stayed in place. She actually was thinking about a lot of things after what happened, but when she saw her husband alone in the patio, she decided to stand up for him. This is what she does best, after all, years of being alone and getting independent along the way trained her to be mindful about her feelings.

Bin nuzzled on top of her head and did not lose his hold on her. He asked her a question, which he thought might send off the wrong message, but decided to push through anyway.