Uncovering

'I'm sorry?' I asked, as I was about to spit out the coffee from my mouth. 'Earthquake?'

Oh damn, Kim Tae Pyung! That was a heck of a hole in one.

'I think so, but maybe I am wrong, Appa,' Pooh said as he ate his cereal. Yejin, who was beside me, was stopping herself from laughing, while I was searching my suddenly-clouded mind for answers for my little boy.

'Maybe you were dreaming, buddy,' I said, diverting his attention, and memory, away from it. He nodded and continued eating.

'Appa, will Yoo Yoo and noona come?' he asked. Oh, thank God.

'I guess so. Eomma might have made a swimming date for you I think?' I said, as I looked at Yejin, finally letting out a smile I knew she had been holding for far too long. It made me smile too, even when I really wanted to dissipate into the unknown for a moment and come back thereafter.

'Yes, babylove. They will come this weekend. Are you excited?' she asked, and as I looked at Pooh, he was smiling from ear to ear. Sure we had a lot of friends from the business, who also have kids, but he is exceptionally close to these two. I don't mind, they are a nice family to begin with.

'Eomma, can we make sandwiches?' he asked. My wife was more than glad to cater to his request, not because he still needs to eat some more, but more inclined to make him feel better after what he experienced last night.

The anteroom was built for a reason and it should be used for that particular thing. Only.

'Appa, let's play horsey,' Pooh asked as we were in the TV room while a cartoon show was on. I gladly got on the floor before he rode on my back, pulling the hem of my shirt as a leash. We went on playing while Lilo was with her eomma, and both were somehow talking too. Our daughter blabbers every now and then, and even when her words were still incomprehensible we understood what she wanted to say. Probably.

My phone rang as we were done playing cowboy and as I looked at it, a private number was calling me. I told my wife I needed to take the call and head on outside, as Sesame Street was on.

'Hello?' I said as I took on the call.

'Tae Pyung,' the voice on the other line replied. It was my colleague back in the marines, Major Gong. 'I'm sorry to have missed your call the other day. We were at camp, you know how it is.'

I smiled. 'It's okay, sir. I understand,' I replied as I took bigger steps to get to my study immediately.

'How are you? How is married life doing to you?'

'Oh I am well, sir. Very well.'

'That's good to know. Well, what brings you?'

'Sir, I remember you told me before that if I need anything, I would just call you,' I stated. He asked for me to continue. 'I might be needing that now.'

Saturday came and Pooh was too excited while waiting for his guests. My wife was likewise busy in the kitchen with Ahjumma and Shin Hye so the two little chubby balls stayed with me. I took them to the pool first, but I asked Pooh not to dive in just yet. Instead, I took out a coloring book for him and we started doing an activity together. After a few minutes, we were then called since the Hyuns had arrived. We went down right away to greet them. The lovely afternoon was spent at the rooftop outdoor pool, with the wives swimming with the kids while my friend Bin and I were discussing something important.

'What's your plan now?' he asked. He was one of the people who knew what we were going through, and I knew I had to keep him on the loop since I sought the help of his cousin.