Homeroom

The sunshiny Friday afternoon sun created a wonderful cast over the school building. As the cars piled up to get their spot on the parking lot, the guards on duty were likewise busily ushering the guests. It was not a secret that Yongsan International School is one for those who came from South Korea’s affluent families, thus some parents’ behavior was expected.

Just that, the different attitudes of these people, no matter their status, clearly shows under pressure. Some parents wanted to race against others to the school gates when they themselves know they can all get in without being rowdy. Others were passive, ignoring the school faculty who would usher them to the classrooms. Whether it was pride or something else, they went directly to where they wanted to go, only to find a directory to check if they had gone in the right direction.

And then some of the most humble people, and apparently the richest too, come down in the simplest fashion. Opening their own doors without the help of a driver, they look like the regular Joes you could see in every corner of the busy streets of Seoul. They would pass by the gates, nodding to the security details and extending those to the staff waiting, and even humbly asking for directions where the rooms were located. They would go along and find the place they intend to go and when they arrive, they witness another display of so-called power inside the classrooms.

Kim Tae Pyung and Son Eon Jin, one of South Korea’s most powerful celebrity couples, walked in subtly wearing their facemasks and sunglasses to conceal their identity. As they were looking for a space where they could sit down, they chanced upon their friends, Mr. and Mrs. Hyun. The couple were seated at the far end of the room, looking at the commotion that was beginning to form as the so-called powerful began to campaign for some positions. As they found their place, Mr. Kim sighed in relief.

‘Wait, are you sure this is kindergarten class? Why does it look like a polling precinct?’ he asked in jest which earned a laugh from his best friend.

‘Well, welcome to the Parents Association. It sure does look like one because today is election day,’ Mr. Hyun replied.

‘I thought it would be just a meeting?’ Eon Jin, the first time mother of a preschooler, asked. Mrs. Hyun answered her.

‘Yes, it is. But we have to elect officers likewise for the association. You know, as representatives,’ she said. Eon Jin nodded and took time to digest what she was seeing. Would it be this way all the time?

Just then, the kindergarten class teacher came in and went to her place in front of everyone. A few parents went to take a seat, while some others were still standing and waiting for something from the teacher herself.

‘Sir, there is a vacant seat in this area,’ she called out and pointed to the seat near her. The man in question then strutted like an actor in front of everyone before he sat down on the chair. Apparently, he was one of those people in the commotion who looked pre-campaigning for a position.

Tae Pyung couldn’t hide his laughter so he went to hold his wife’s hand and squeeze it. Understanding why, she squeezed back and was actually smiling underneath her mask. The other couple were likewise doing the same thing.

‘Seems to me he wants us to see his face and vote for him,’ Tae Pyung whispered to Eon Jin who swatted his hand.

‘Listen, the teacher is talking,’ she said. Suddenly it occurred to her the memory of being in college at the Seoul Institute for the Arts. There was a series of short flashbacks, and she couldn’t help but smile at it. Looking at her husband’s strong hand which was holding hers gently, she let out a thought in a whisper.

‘Tell me again why you didn’t study at the same college that I did.’

He looked at her and was actually puzzled at what she was saying.