Pooh Comes Home

'Eomma, what is this?' Pooh asked while he was looking at the penguin towel wrapped around his left hand. He raised it up for me to see.

'What is this water doing?' 'Why is there something hard on my hand, Eomma?'

I smiled at him while I was stroking his soft hair. He still looked a bit pale, but I know he will be alright. I never thought that a kid like him who was really active would have something else inside of him. I was just glad that he is fine and there was nothing to really worry about. 

'Oh, that is your medicine,' I replied. I saw wonder in his eyes so I began to explain to him about what happened. Just as I started, Bin came back and joined us in bed. He gave Pooh a kiss on his forehead, before he bent down to give me one too. 

'Do you remember what happened yesterday?' I asked, as Bin and I wanted to know what he felt before the unthinkable happened.

'Uhhhmmm,' our son was in quite deep thought before he gave us an answer. 'I remember I was playing with Stitch. We were running around and then I could not see him clearly anymore.'

'Did you drink your water before you ran around?' Bin asked.

Pooh thought about it, and then he gave us an awkward smile. 'I don't remember, Appa. I think I did not.'

'And then what happened after you didn't see Stitch?' I asked.

We noticed he was once more in deep thought, probably thinking about it. He fell silent, he may  not know how to truly express it properly.

'Did you fall, fall down like Humpty Dumpty?' Bin asked, which made Pooh smile.

'Yes, Appa. I fell down like that and then I didn't see Stitch anymore.'

I smiled at how he described the feeling when he was in that situation. Somehow, it gave me comfort that my son was not too afraid of what he was feeling, but not really completely. As a mother, I know that it was just there lying somewhere in between. I was just glad that Bin addressed it in a positive manner.

'Where's Lilo, Eomma?' he asked.

'Oh, Lilo is with halmeoni and halabeoji. They are in Gomu's office upstairs,' I replied, rubbing my hand on his tummy. He smiled, as I know he is tickled by the action.

'You will see her tomorrow,' Bin joined in and continued rubbing his tummy. Our son was now giggling, and I kind of missed these times with my boys. I could only hope that we were at home while doing this.

The following day, Pooh was discharged from the hospital. He was back to his old self, but still somehow weak. We dropped by the church first before we went home, where I prepared a mini-feast for the family. His favorite mandu was there, and I also made some decker sandwiches for snacks and some chicken, among other things. My parents were there, since they learned that Pooh was hospitalized they made sure they came around. My in-laws were likewise at home, and when we arrived they welcomed us. I saw in Pooh's eyes that he was happy, and although he could not really move as fast as he used to, that didn't stop him from running to his grandpas when he saw them.

'Eomma, can Appa look like this again?' Pooh asked me as I was preparing his snacks. It has been a few days after his discharge and slowly his appetite went back to normal, plus the supplements that were given for him. I looked at his iPad to understand what he was talking about.

I was surprised to see that he wanted Bin to look like Im Chul Ryung, with the mustache and all.

'Uhm, why babylove?' I asked.

'Because he looks so good on it, Eomma. When I grow up I want to look like that,' he said, as if he understood everything he was saying. I smiled at him.