Get Well, Buddy

Rushing to where my son was when I heard Shin Hye's voice shrieking in fear, I felt all the adrenaline pumping through my entire system. I went to check on him, picking him up immediately then looked for a shade from the wooden playground where I saw him lying down. Pooh looked pale and I suspected that it was just his body's reaction to him not drinking enough fluids while he was playing. He has always been that way, forgetting to take water while playing. We constantly remind him but as a kid, he tends to forget about it. After loosening his clothing, I softly called him but then he didn't wake up so I decided to lift him up.

Walking past Yejin, who by now was shocked to see what I was doing, I maintained a calm voice and told her we need to bring Pooh to the ER and she has to get the keys. She held onto Lilo and called Shin Hye to come with her. I was so focused on getting into the car and bringing our son to the hospital that I totally forgot about the information I just shared with Yejin over brunch.

Securing all of them in the back seat, I drove immediately to Seoul Medical while calling Pooh's pedia. I managed to bring the car to the hospital's VIP entrance, where some staff were waiting to take Pooh to the emergency room. I took Lilo from Shin Hye and phoned my brother if they could possibly look after my baby and her nanny right now. Fortunately Noona, who happened to be a doctor, was on site as she just got hired in the hospital. She came and took my daughter while I accompanied my wife to the ER, where we were advised to wait in the lounge.

As I looked at her, holding on to her last thread of strength as a mother, I couldn't help but look back at the last 48 hours of our lives. Pooh was in such high spirits, attending the party, made dinner with her, laughing his heart out while we were at the rooftop enjoying the mandu they made. Moreso, just this morning he cuddled with me as he spent the night with us.

How life can turn your world upside down in just a matter of time.

How I prayed to God hoping that there was nothing serious about what happened to our son, and that it was just exhaustion. But even so, my heart was clenched seeing him in a state where I would never want to see them in.

How I wanted to stand strong for my family and my wife who by now had tears in her eyes, ready to fall the moment I held her in my arms.

'Everything will be okay, baby,' I said as I grabbed her. 'He will be fine, trust me.'

Then she burst out crying. I had to take her away from the room so she wouldn't see what was happening. It would only add stress to the both of us, looking at Pooh while they were doing all the routine check-ups. As a father I wanted to be there with him and for him, but he is in the best of care through his pedia. Dr. Oh knows what she is doing, this is her specialty, and we must trust her on this.

'I should have been there, Binssi,' Yejin softly wailed, blaming herself for what happened.

'Hey, no one knew this was going to happen,' I replied, running my hand on her back to calm her down.

'Why is it him all the time?' she said once more.

'Baby, look at me,' I said as I pulled out of her embrace. 'Pooh is a strong kid, remember? It may be just because he forgot to drink his fluids that's why he passed out,' I continued, hoping she would believe me and calm down. 

'You know how he is when he is playing,' I said. She buried her face once more on my chest and cried silently.

I had to believe likewise in what I said. 

'Buddy, please just let this be about you forgetting your water,' I thought, and closed my eyes.

An hour has passed and we found ourselves sitting in front of the altar in the hospital chapel. I could hear Yejin sigh occasionally, and then I heard her ask where Lilo is. I had to smile, I actually forgot about our daughter too.