Ji Hwan

Devoid of light except for the faint dimmer that was placed on the side table, he opened his eyes and stared at the musical toy hanging on top of his sister’s crib. Yohanna was sleeping peacefully, as he should have likewise.

Ji Hwan started to think deeply, at his age level, about what happened the previous day. Sure he did bring his Appa’s toy cars, but he didn’t have any intention to show it off. His young mind, and Yoo Yoo’s, thought that they would be playing outside. Naturally, kids think that they should bring their own toys and so they did. But apparently, it wasn’t the case.

    He was actually afraid of what his Eomma would think of him. They didn’t talk yet, since he fell asleep in the car while they were driving their way home. On a regular day, he would just talk casually to them, and his Eomma would likewise ask him what happened about his day. But as they drove back that afternoon, there was silence. Even his Appa was silent, he was just concentrating on driving the car. They had talked already, and he felt good about it. His Appa was not mad, but Ji Hwan was concerned about what his Eomma thought.

    He sat up and hugged his longtime stuffed toy, Hugsy. For some reason this penguin was with him for as long as he could remember. It had become his confidante sometimes, inanimate though, but whenever it was with him, he felt a bit better.

    ‘Hugsy, is Eomma angry at me? She didn’t say anything to me,’ he said in his own cute voice. He wanted to open the door to get to his parents' room, but he thinks it might disturb them both. He remained on his bed, thinking about what he did and what he should do.

    Ji Hwan went down from his bed and got his brown bag, then took out a sweater from his small closet. He was able to open it since it was located near the floor. The ones on top were too high for him so he grabbed what he could. He tiptoed carefully so as not to wake up his sister, then went to her and looked at the sleeping little angel.

    ‘Hi, Yohanna. Can you wake up so Oppa won’t be lonely?’ he asked, sadness evident in his voice. It was still dark, but unlike other kids who are afraid of the dark, he bravely looked outside and thought he should go out for a moment.

    A kid’s mind can be fickle, but surely they won’t forget what they feel especially when they know there was something wrong. Yejin didn’t shout at him, she never will no matter what happens, but he felt like he did something terrible that his parents didn’t bother to wake him up when they usually do so before.

    ‘Maybe it will be better if I go out and leave,’ he thought. Grabbing Hugsy, he placed him inside the brown bag and put him back in his bed, while he donned on his cute LA sweater which his Imo got for him. As he was wearing the sweater, he heard his Eomma’s voice he wanted to hear since yesterday, asking him something.

    ‘Can you tell me where are you going, little man?’

    Omo, he thought. Did Eomma catch me?

    He froze in place and was really having unsteady heartbeats, like he was running so hard that he was almost gasping for air. Noticing what happened, Yejin went directly to him and took off the sweater and helped him breathe properly. She rubbed his back, before she took him up and carried him outside their room. She did so as not to disturb the little angel who would most likely turn into a little monster when woken up.

    Ji Hwan buried his face on his mother’s shoulder while he looped his cute arms on her neck. Probably because of what happened, and what he thought of, he found it embarrassing. Little did he know, his Appa woke up and saw him being carried away. Yejin motioned for him to just stay as she wanted to talk to him alone first.

    The smell of freshly made pancakes wafted throughout the entire kitchen and Ji Hwan can’t help but raise his head a little higher than it was. Stitch was found near his chair, sleeping on the floor since he felt that his master was not in a very good situation. The mutt must have understood that there was something wrong but chose to remain by his side.