(7) Friends

Six's POV....

Its been 2 weeks since she killed the lady and took her powers. It has also been a week since she met the shadow boy, who was the nome she ate 2 weeks ago. It was...strange to see him as a shadow.

The week was full of surprises, well it was mostly the shadow boy surprising her.

Firstly, every morning he would prepare breakfast for her. Sometimes he'd give her cooked guest meat and other times two pieces of bread with meat in the middle. She can't really complain though, he was pretty good at cooking.

Second surprise was him telling her that she could sleep in the lady's quarters. Of course Six refused but he urged her to do so. Ranting on and on about how its not healthy for her to sleep on the floor and such. Her shadow would end up staring and observing the situation with such an amused face. To stop him from rambling any longer, she reluctantly slept in the lady's room. Her big bed was soft and...comfortable. She fell asleep pretty quickly on that bed compared to her suitcase home.

Third surprise is how the shadow seemed to calm her down during her nightmares. Whenever she has nightmares she could feel his cold touch on her forehead, comforting her. The shadow boy's hands were cold...like a corpse but the more he does it, the more she's used it. It was embarassing that he was always there to calm her down if she was having a bad dream..but she was glad to be able to sleep properly because of him. Not that she'd admit it openly anyways.

Fourth surprise was him showing her where the nomes lived. He titled it as 'The Hideout', the route towards the hideout was strenous. Going through vents, obstacles, even dodging leeches and such. But it was easier to maneuver since there was no Janitor trying to catch them. The hideout was...huge...and hot. The massive furnace (or is it a boiler?) the nomes must throw coal into to power the massive ship caused her to sweat, not a lot but still. Since the shadow boy was well, a shadow, she was a bit worried since shadows cannot deal with light. She was surprised to hear that shadows are not weak to light coming from fires. Only electric, battery powered or sunlight can hurt them.

The nomes there were so plentiful too, she never knew they had a place in the maw. The next thing the shadow boy showed her in the hideout is some sort room with a fireplace covered in metal and log vertical slits on it (what do you call it?). The machinery emitted a somewhat comforting and warm flame. Some nomes gathered around it, seemingly mesmerized by the light and warmth the machine provided. Shadow boy seemed to be staring into the flames as well.

Six glanced down at the nomes' shadows, frowning once she saw the silhouette of children's shadows. Some children were turned into nomes while other children were being eaten. She clenched her fists before unclenhing them as she relaxed. She could change them back if she knew how but...only the gods know how long these children stayed as nomes. Maybe it was for the best that they stay as nomes, they seem happier and safer that way.

The shadow was full of surprises that the more she spent time with him, the more she felt a connection. Which for her is a bad thing. She can't get close to anyone, she absolutely cannot get attached. She's scared. Scared of what she may do that'll cause him harm. Six cannot let him suffer again. She's done enough.

"My lady? Is something wrong?" the shadow boy's voice snapped her out or her thoughts. Right now, she was at the children's playroom. She's on top of the large shelf, watching as the children played with their many toys. She doesn't want to play with them, thinking it was a waste of time...and also because she feels like she wouldn't fit in with the other kids. Six glanced towards the shadow quietly, staring at his mask. Why does he still stick next to her? He can do something else with his time so why spend it with her?

"...My lady?" the shadow spoke once more, voice laced with worry. "Why do you care about me?" she blurts out her thoughts before covering her mouth with wide eyes. Why did she say that out loud!? GAH!

Six turns away from him to hide her face as she pulls the raincoat of her hood up. "Forget I asked that!" she spoke quickly before perking up once she heard him speak. She was unable to hear it though."...what?" Six turns towards him, hood was still on her face. "Because you are the new lady and it is us shadows' priority to care for the lady.." Six frowned at his answer, seemingly disappointed "..is what I would say but it is because I consider you as my friend,"

The girl stared at the shadow in shock "I'm...your friend? You don't even know anything about me," Six was confused as to why the shadow considered her as a friend, especially after all she did. "Future friend then! When I met you a year ago, you were lonely, no kid wanted to talk to you because you always seem to push them away!" he replied to her, Six swore she can feel him smile under that mask. "Even after becoming like this, my objective still have not changed, my lady,"

Six can feel her chest become warm, the feeling was familiar. Happiness maybe...? A small smile appeared on her face but she looked away so he wouldn't see it. "Call me Six," she muttered "Pardon?" "We're friends right? So call me Six. Thats my name. No need to call me 'my lady',"

Six can feel the shadow beam with excitement as he sat down next to her. "Okay Six! Then call me Runaway. Thats what everyone called me before I became a shadow," he introduced himself ever so happily.

Six looked back at him once more, pulling her hood down as she smiled. "Nice to meet you again, Runaway," "The pleasure is all mine, Six,"

Maybe its not so bad to get attached again...at least just this once.

**************************

Total word count for this chapter: 1081

Yay! They're friends now :D also timeskip goes brrrrr

Once again sorrt for the lack of art.