(22) Overworked

The quick tapping of footsteps echoes throughout the halls, labored breathing could be heard as a figure carrying a heavy load sprinted towards an area you are familiar with. The kitchen.

Upon closer inspection, it was a boy wearing a blue sweater. His eyes had dark circles under them and his hands seem a bit shaky, though even with all of this, he still continued to work.

The kitchen was dark, barely any light. In fact, the only thing lighting the place up is some candles placed around the area.

Dark shadows scatter around the floor, seemingly in a hurry as well. They carried different items with them, most were for the kitchen while some others held small dustpans and brooms.

"C'mon guys! We need to get breakfast ready!" The boy in blue barked out commands, ordering the shadows what to do. Of course the shadows complied without any complaint, maybe cause they were already used to it, or maybe because they didn't feel any fatigue from whatever they are doing. Unlike the boy who could feel his tiredness weighing on him day by day. Its hard to maintain the maw by himself, especially with how huge it is.

He needs to monitor how the shadows could even clean parts of the maw because its covered in dirt, dust, grime and rat droppings (as well as blood mind you). Eugh. He also needs to instruct the shadows every day on what to make for their day-to-day meal.

Wake up, prepare breakfast, keep an eye on Six, clean the maw, prepare lunch, interact with the children, spend time with Six and Kyra, prepare dinner then sleep. The cycle repeats.

It was good during the first few days of this schedule but as days go by, the seemingly lack of rest began taking a toll. His muscles ache, his eyes were tired but he still kept going as 2 weeks flew by. Mono helps...occasionally, mostly with the other children since he isn't that good at cooking duty.

Seeing Seven be troubled with so much work and seeing how it affected him, the older kids were quick to assist him.

Seven was thankful for their help but he still has a lot of schedules to finish by the day. He even needs to think of plans on how to make the maw liveable as well as other ways to get food.

The guest meat for the children's protein is gonna run out in a year and a half (estimation done by Mono), they needed a way to get a steady supply of food without relying too much on hunting. There is only so much they could do with hunting but the lack of hands are a problem, as well as the lack of experience. Also too much meat isn't good for the body.

Six and Kyra were the ones that helped Seven relax, reassuring him that they'll think of a plan to ensure that everything would go smoothly. 2 weeks of working himself to exhaustion made Seven sleep for about 2 days.

During those 2 days, One, Two and Five helped with the food. Mono helped with teaching the children some advice (like what to do in a dangerous situation etc.) and Three assisting with heavy lifting. Six wanted to be a good 'lady' to the maw so Kyra went to the books to help her understand what to do and how to do it.

Seven was happy that he had his friends and partners by his side, the peace tended to crumble here and there but they always build itself back up again.

He hoped the peace will last much longer in the future.

**************************
Sorry for the short chapter and for the long wait. I don't exactly know how to project the story in words instead of comics.

Also no art for this chapter so sorry about that! Hopefully will have art in the next chapters to come (then again, fanart is deeply appreciated)

I'll be explaining more in a separate chapter dedicated to my plans on how this book series will go. Which is soon dw.