(21) A Good Friend of Mine

A boy around 14 years old could be seen running in a beach, away from some sort of island. The island spewed small puffs of smoke from a funnel on top of it. The boy wasn't actually running away very quickly, showing that he isn't fleeing from the island.

The boy was calm, maybe he was out for a jog to get his mind off this nightmarish world. The boy is of course familiar to all of you...It was Mono.

Mono is a child of strange origins with the powers of static. He didn't know why he had these powers but he uses them to his advantage.

After living his whole life with only the thought of survival, the time he spent in the maw was the first time he actually feels safe. It was a strange experience for him...a place where you don't have to worry about getting killed, getting hurt, getting used .

He didn't even feel cautious when he was out in the open. Mono remembers a certain someone teasing him about how careful he is.

The boy's pace started slowing down as his mind wanders to that person. The closer he got to the forest, the slower he ran and soon he was just walking. He lived in this place for years, made memories (most aren't even good ones), and survived. He was about to take a step further before he was halted by a familiar voice.

"Where are you going?"

Mono swiftly turned around to face the person who spoke to him. He can feel his cheeks heat up a bit as he stared at the person in front of him, his breath hitched as the boy raised a brow at him. "You're not gonna do something dangerous and leave, are you?" Seven asked him with a frown. Hearing him worry just reminded him more of...her.

Mono shook his head with a smile "I'm just going out for a walk, maybe do a perimeter check around the maw," he answered. Seven tilts his head at him, eyes narrowed as he stared at him with a confused face (Mono thinks he looks adorable) "Perimeter...check?". Seeing how confused he was made Mono laugh "It means patrolling the areas near the maw, make sure there are no threats wandering around," he explains.

Seven nods his head, seemingly understanding what he meant. He lowers his head as he started uttering about future plans to maybe up the maw's security. "You really do remind me of a friend of mine...." Mono commented, causing Seven to perk up at his words. "You had a friend before meeting Six?" Seven asked, he didn't really expect that.

 "You had a friend before meeting Six?" Seven asked, he didn't really expect that

"Yeah, a good friend. We were together for years, always having each other's back. We were like family, though we weren't related by blood," Mono looks towards the forest, reminiscing the times he spent with her.

Seven stared at him for a few moments before speaking "What did this friend look like?"

Seven stared at him for a few moments before speaking "What did this friend look like?". Mono ponders on his question, shifting through his memories as he tries to recall what she looked like.

"She always wore a braid...its kind of like her signature look. I always help her with it," he began describing her with a small smile "She wore a bright yellow raincoat, kind of like Six's. Of course I have to smother her coat in mud because its so easy to spot with the bright color," Mono lets out a chuckle as he recalls the time where she would complain about how the mud ruins the raincoat's 'beauty'.

"What was her name?"

Mono inhales then exhales "Eliya...her name was Eliya," the name rolls off his tongue, leaving a sour taste in his mouth. His heart aches as he slowly opened his eyes. He misses her...so much.

"What..happened to her?"

"Fi--..." He struggles to explain "A fire happened...the ferryman wanted to smoke us out of the place we hid. I lost her...4 years ago in that fire," Mono finishes the explanation, tears stinging his eyes. He immediately wipes them away, not wishing to look weak in front of him.

Seven decided not to pry any further, he doesn't want Mono to remember the bad memories too much. He knew it was personal so its best not to get too curious.

"Hey how about I tag along with this perimeter check? I wanna more about how to improve security!" Seven suggested. Mono stared at him with a small smile "Sure, it'd be nice if the maw gets more security,"

*********************

Total words: 759

Heyyyyy new chapter pog, also with art 👌