xxxvii - 𝘢𝘮𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘰𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘦

Tommy Shelby had not even imagined himself walking that linear path down to Number 2, Tenley Street ever again

Tommy Shelby had not even imagined himself walking that linear path down to Number 2, Tenley Street ever again. The weather was almost reminiscent of the first time he had attended the clinic on that miserable November day - aside from the fact today the skies had spared him from the onslaught of rain.

Not since he had last trekked it, at a moment in time that currently felt lifetimes ago to the Blinder who felt the only thing keeping his feet moving forwards at the moment was the simple, yet sheer adrenaline of wanting to fix things with Verity.

After the failed attempts at winning her back yesterday, he realised how materialistic and silly they had been. She was right - what was the point of giving her things she had gotten herself? She was so capable. So he decided his best bet was to at least try to earn the favour and mend bridges with her family.

He wanted to do right by her after only succeeding in doing so many wrongs. Tommy knew unweaving fhis web of lies would be messy, ugly and would dig up some parts of his actions he wished to keep hidden... but ultimately? The love he felt for Verity was far more powerful than any other force he had ever felt driving him.

Jealously, rage, vengeance... of course, they had been a potent mix in the past... but this kind of love? It was more concentrated, far more intoxicating than any other motive he had ever possessed before.

Before he knew it, Tommy Shelby was at the front door of Number 2, Tenley Street.

His fist hovered above the wood, his blue eyes fleeting to the plaque by the door which once held Verity's details and qualifications, now all but dismantled from the brick leaving nothing but it's faded outline.

Clearing his throat, he rapped on the door and waited with bated breath for Verity's sister, Nina, to answer. In those few pressing seconds, he felt his heart tighten considerably in his chest. That feeling of anxiety he welcomed very little - it was a devil for making his thoughts wander to the darker corners of his mind.

With a gentle click, the door opened just ajar. Through the small gap, came a pair of brown eyes that looked angrily at the middle Shelby son. Eyes that had every right to possess such a rage.

"What do you want?" The venom was there and as prevalent as a neon hue in the pitch black of night.

"I know I'm the last person you want to see, love." Tommy remarked coolly, removing his signature flat cap as he grasped it respectfully in his hands. "It's about your sister."

The rage subsided momentarily, replaced by a guilty sadness.

"What of her? Is she ok?" There it was, the sorority care and compassion that would always run strong, despite rifts and rages.

"She's fine," Tommy cleared his throat softly, "I just need to talk to you about some things. Some things you deserve to know about." His gaze was encouraging, stressing of the importance he so felt to deliver the truth.