ⅺ - 𝘤𝘭𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘧𝘺

A/N: Sorry for the abandonment on this fic and my writing in general. Trying to find time to write is really difficult at the moment – and it's annoying when the inspiration is there. I hope this chapter lives up to your expectations guys <3

-

A consuming feeling of immense guilt swamped the new singer as she stood alone in the large, dimly lit dressing room

Several beautiful gowns, mostly hand selected by the fashion-conscious Scarlett, lay out on the plush velvet square seat in the centre of the room. Verity had felt eerily uncomfortable, feeling as if she was losing herself as she tried on the various gorgeous dresses. They were all elegant in style, with shining crystals or diamonds – one dress with a flattering scooping back and another with a beautiful sweetheart neckline. But no matter how dazzling they were, they did not take away from the hollowing feeling in Verity's heart.

She had just finished on trying the last dress, only relying on her own opinion in the mirror's reflection as Scarlett had scarpered off around an hour ago – flocking to Arthur's beck and call like a little puppy.  Verity's green eyes flickered all over her figure criticizingly, her jaw clenching slightly as she felt a complete sense of anguish at how these gowns had come to be.

She had wanted to buy them from her own money – not from Tommy Shelby's personal pocket. She didn't want to think he had any sort of hold over her.

Scarlett's words flickered into her head... 'give him a chance'

Maybe she was just reading into this with far too much assumption, immersing herself into the negativity rather than anything else.

A short series of knocks on the door caused her to jump, as Verity turned around in the golden dress. Her heart hammered heavy in her chest out of the shock, and so she found herself struggling to speak.

"C-come in..." she faltered, clearing her throat as she tried to regain composure. She was half expecting Arthur to be the one to step in, perhaps in need of her maths skills considering he and Scarlett were about as useful as a chocolate teapot when it came to sums.

However, Verity was indeed surprised when Tommy walked in, his cool eyes shielded by the brim of his flat cap. She felt immediately exposed and vulnerable, despite the expensive fabrics of the dress.

"So, these are your purchases then?" he asked firstly, placing his back against the wall near the door, removing his dark cap – barely entering the room as the clicked shut behind him.

Verity's breath caught up in her throat, feeling as if she was being choked by the invisible hand of her vulnerability in this new situation. She had been under the thumb of men before, constantly crushed and controlled by them when studying for her degree – it was like she was a poor donkey, and these men dangled the carrot in front of her, forced her to accept things to instil the belief in her that she could never make it alone.