xli - 𝘳𝘦𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵

Some months later

Some months later

Easing back into London life was something Verity had not expected to need a period of 'adjustment' for. The roads lined with cars, a skyline littered with buildings that made even the greyest of days somewhat greyer.

However, the bliss of returning to work with her sister and nephew at her old office provided some unadulterated joy that she had been missing. As if the ultimate piece to the puzzle had been found.

Weeks upon returning to her office in London, Verity received multiple messages from local colleges and universities about lectures - on the basis of a 'good word' that had been put in by an 'anonymous' person. She had every idea of what stranger that had been... one with a peaky cap and plenty of cash in hand to get these affluent schools calling upon her.

In some ways Verity felt indebted when he was putting out the extra effort like that, helping to rebuild her portfolio.

So sometimes she had to doubly remind herself of what he had done, and how this was the least he could do considering he had been the bastard to snatch it out from under her feet.

Besides, she so wanted to keep herself in a state of not being in contact with the man who had wrecked her life - so that she could forget the past and move forwards, back to her untroubled life before Tommy, before the Eden - before the messes.

That glamorous life and its tribulations and chaos was a thing she wanted to keep firmly tethered in her history, like a wild stallion she wanted at bay in the back of her brain. It was a crazy era in her life, one at which she now struggled to believe had ever been true.

She, a knowledgeable psychologist, had been a singer in a criminal's club. In what world had that been her reality? She wanted it gone from the forefront of her mind.

So, with several lectures and talks under her belt - Verity's clientele came pouring back in through the doors and she had several classes a week where she would teach the undergraduates at the local university, a fulfilling mix of tasks.

Everything felt back in it's rightful place at last - harmony was restored to her life and for the first time in an incredibly long time, it was as if Tommy Shelby had never been. Never left his mark on her, never tore her life to shreds like some foul beast.

Life was tranquil.

Until it wasn't.

Tuesday morning had been quiet, mostly filled with paperwork and preparations for her teaching that afternoon.

The hearth was crackling in Verity's office as she hummed to herself quietly, arranging her papers when she heard lots of noise downstairs.