xviii - 𝘥𝘦𝘤𝘪𝘱𝘩𝘦𝘳

The setting was rather quaint; a hotel bar area in the murkiest depths of the night

The setting was rather quaint; a hotel bar area in the murkiest depths of the night. The place was dead, for all but the exhausted looking chap behind the bar, Verity and Eli.

Verity had taken a seat in a tub chair by one of the large windows, that peered out onto an empty street. She couldn't ignore the otherworldly, almost hallucinatory feeling that her current situation gave her. It was not long before the aroma of freshly brewed coffee filled her nostrils, a comforting scent. She turned her head to see Eli returning to the chair opposite with one steaming cup for her and a glass of whisky for himself. She thanked him kindly for the drink, and took her first humbling sip. It was almost as good as the coffee Scarlett would make with breakfast – singing loudly in the kitchen without a care. The atmosphere in this place was entirely different.

"Can I ask what you were doing, wandering about in the street?" Eli suddenly chipped in after a moments peaceful silence.  Dainty fingertips lowering the cup back down to the rounded table top, Verity savoured the full flavour of the coffee as she prepared her response.

"I told you, I'd gone for a walk." She replied, deciding to answer his question with another question. "And what about you? You're out late."

"Night time is my day time, love." Eli replied, his humour at her quip evident as his low laughter filled the space. He dared to remove those sunglasses for the first time since they'd run into one another. His dark brown eyes stared down at the table nonchalantly as he responded.

"If you really want to know, I was on my way back from an appointment with my PA." he replied in a matter of fact tone, his dark hickory eyes fleeting up to meet her own hazel ones. "I know it's not all that interesting or scandalous, but there it is."

Lips curving into a softened smirk, Verity leaned back in her seat.

"Scandalous?" Her head tilted with a curious crass smile, "why would it need to be scandalous? What you do is of no concern to me."

She was as quick and feisty as she was beautiful, Eli thought. He liked a woman who could give back as much as she took.

"True." Valentine mused, "just figured you assumed maybe all club owners are mysterious and exciting like the Shelby's." He took a long drawn sip of his whisky, the alcoholic flavours dancing about his tongue.

"So, are you going to tell me why you were really out?" Eli added after the drink had descended down his throat, "or are we going to play silly buggers all night?"

Verity relented, after all, he had told her so the least she could do was be upfront. She didn't exactly have to give him the whole story.

"I was just passing the time. I don't really have a home at the moment-" before she could elaborate more, she was unexpectedly interrupted.

"Arthur did mention you were staying with Ebson."

Lips slightly agape, Verity registered his response and cocked her head slowly with a frown. Since when were there business meetings for discussing personal issues that didn't concern them?