xx - 𝘧𝘢𝘮𝘪𝘭𝘪𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘴𝘦

How that drive seemed to last for an eternity

How that drive seemed to last for an eternity. Surroundings passed by like old film; bland, dull surroundings – their usual vivid pallor all but diminished by the greyness of the early afternoon.

Verity had tried to drop off to sleep countless times, but the noisy engine of the high end car and it's ability to make the whole chassis of the car tremble almost meant Verity instead just seemed to linger exhaustedly on the edge of a conscious state. Her eyes drew in the changing environment – from the solid greys and whites of the London city to pale greens and browns of the early March countryside.

Barely a word was exchanged during the drive up to Tommy's manor, and that was partially down to the fact Verity was just about awake at some points – but other than that Tommy made no hassle to start a conversation about anything He just drove, piercing blue eyes fixated on the dark grey roads ahead as if his mind was locked in focus. Maybe it was just another one of his ways, however it did little for reassuring Verity or instilling any feelings of true 'welcome' in her.

-

Many hours after they had set off from London, the pair arrived at the Arrow Manor as the darkness of the early night's had long drawn in. Wheels crackling over the crunchy driveway gravel, Verity's mind flashed back to the last time she was here. That was when she had a car, and she had a flash of pain in her heart remembering how she'd had to sell her mode of transport when her psychology career first when down the drain.

The Bentley halted outside of the imposing large double doors at the front of the gorgeous and graceful old manor house. It looked very picturesque at night as it did in the day, its immediate grounds softened in golden light from the various black oil lamp style posts littered about the driveway.

Too busy drawing in the beauty of the place once more, Verity had all but missed Tommy lifting her bags from the back of the car and making his way inside of the foyer. She'd just grounded herself back on Earth again to catch the image of the back of him flurrying through the hallway in that hurried stride he always seemed to have – his steps fast and purposeful, she wondered whether he ever really stopped.

Wandering inside, Verity clutched her small purse in her grasp. It was hard to stop the images plaguing her mind as she stepped inside the large main hallway, looking upon the small seating area by the hearth – the large grand oak staircase and the seemingly endless stream of doors that led off to various rooms.

Shrugging off her camel coloured coat, she watched as Tommy placed her bags down by the bottom of the staircase. She found it somewhat amusing, she very much doubted that Tommy Shelby played personal assistant for many people.

"You make quite the nice Bellboy." She stated with a small smile, and almost regretting the remark for a few seconds when she saw the look on his face. In his initial expression, it could have been mistaken for something along the lines of... 'dangerously offended'? It panicked her.