xxiii - 𝘪𝘯𝘥𝘶𝘭𝘨𝘦

The highly anticipated day had finally arrived – it was at last Charlie's birthday

A day that Verity had been restless over for both the wrong and right reasons. She tried not to let her own doubts plague her that morning, as they all sat in the snug living room together. Verity, Tommy and Charlie. For a moment it would seem they were the picture-perfect little family, both adults beaming away at the sheer joy and excitement coming from a little boy he had been expecting very little for his birthday, opening each gift with wide eyes and even bigger smiles.

For a single moment, Verity's worries were melted into absolution when Charlie threw his arms around her so tightly. The vivid memory of his beaming smile, twinkling eyes and sweet laughter – the outpour of 'thank you's were enough to trick Verity's conscious mind into thinking there could be nothing that could disturb the feeling.

-

After a hearty breakfast, eggs and bacon arranged into a smile lovingly by Francis, who gave her own little gifts and cuddles to young Master Shelby, Verity was surprised to find both Tommy and Charlie in the hallway.

"Where are you two going?" she asked with a smile, hands on her hips. As she watched Tommy slip his dark grey longline coat on, she couldn't help but think about the decorations she needed to put up ahead of the party tonight in the main ballroom.

"Me and Daddy are going for a ride, Verity!" Charlie said excitedly, practically jumping up and down on the spot out of sheer enlightenment.

The news melted Verity's irritation away – she was initially annoyed Tommy wasn't going to lend a hand with any of the planning – but the fact his time would be otherwise spent with his son, Verity didn't mind at all. She knew how much that meant to young Charlie.

"Okay," she smiled, humouring herself for a moment as she locked eyes with Tommy. Dare she say she laid eyes upon the man and there was a look in his eyes as if he sought confirmation it was okay with her? The Tommy Shelby who does as he pleases? It just made her grin further.

"Be careful." She smiled, about to turn to make her leave with the sound of rushing footsteps towards her halted that. Before she had much time to react, Charlie had thrown his arms around her waist, face pressed against her abdomen (where his height allowed him to) and squeezed her tightly.

"Thanks again Verity," he said sweetly and politely, with all the charm of a boy that every Shelby wasn't, it seemed. He was like a diamond in a very rugged rough. "This has been the best birthday."

The way his eyes looked up at her so dotingly, it filled Verity's heart with so much joy. She'd really grown to love that boy, dare she say like a son? Of course, she'd never had children but being around Charlie made her feel as if she'd been a mother her whole life. It made her rethink a lot of things about herself.

"Come along Charlie," Tommy said gently, prising his son off Verity as he looked up at the singer who's face was filled with the most heavenly smile. "The horses won't wait forever." He stated, guiding Charlie to the door, the little boy buzzing with energy.