xxv - 𝘢𝘤𝘤𝘶𝘴𝘦

'The Eden's been fucking burnt down!'

Those words, the cursive sound of guttural fear, shock and angry bewilderment. Thomas Shelby hated hearing that sort of aggressive grief in any of his family's voices.

The office around him seemingly fell away, crumbling like the last remnants of a nightmare. His entire being felt frozen in it's place upon the chair, his vice like grip around the phone.

It wasn't often Tommy Shelby was speechless, unable to coherently form any sort of sentence.

He was well aware that Verity was sat opposite him, a concerned and searching look in her sweet hazel coloured eyes.

"H-how-" Tommy was trying to think of where to even begin, not that Arthur gave him much room to speak at this point.

"I don't fucking know, Tommy, for fucks sake!" Arthur growled back at him, the pained frustration rising high in his tones.

Taking a deep breath, Tommy squeezed his eyes shut and rested his free hand against his temple.

"I'll call a family meeting, tomorrow morning at the Garrison." He sighed, "I know this has happened, but we need to think about the next steps-"

He was once again interrupted by Arthur's flaming temper.

"No, we need to find out what fucker has done this to us." He snarled, "I'll fucking gut them-"

Scarlett could be heard in the background trying to soothe her enraged partner, but to no avail it seemed.

"We'll find out Arthur, just," Tommy sighed once again, feeling very much he was handling a wild bull when it came to his older brother, "just take Scarlett home, the last thing she bloody needs now is any stress." He instructed, his careful concern and regard for Scarlett once again boosted Verity's quiet confident that Tommy Shelby wasn't as cold as he always wanted to appear to be.

Dropping the handset back into the upright receiver, Tommy exhaled a laboured sigh. They'd only just recovered from the rush and excitement of a party and now things had lurched into dark chaos. He had been hoping for a few quiet days at home but it seemed that now was a distant fancy.

"I need to get ready to leave," Tommy sighed, rising from the desk as Verity couldn't help but follow. She hadn't the slightest idea of what conversation had just been had.

"What's happening? Is everything alright?" She asked with a gentle and concerned tone of voice, tailing Tommy out of the office. The Blinder stopped in the spacious hallway, turning to face Verity, her sweet features filled with an anxiousness.

"The club's been burned down." Tommy said, keeping his tone level - it severely contradicted how much his words would have their effect on Verity.

She remained standing, but she felt as if her knees could've given way at any moment. Her chest ached something sorely, and no matter how her brain raced - no words at all came out. She stammered uselessly, feeling a familiar sting of tears at her eyes. That club had been a fundamental part in this new stage of her life - she had branched into a new career there and met her best friend there, and now it was all gone? It seemed strange to comprehend how such a grand building had been reduced to nothing in seemingly no time at all.