ⅹ - 𝘳𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨

*I have updated the cast list with the introduction of a new character in this chapter

*I have updated the cast list with the introduction of a new character in this chapter...*

-

The volatile wheel of life that Verity Grant had been experiencing as of late seemed to be turning back in reverse, as she now felt the security of her new role falling into place.

She hadn't been at the club for more than a week before she had already started earning herself as a bit of a name, the feverishly in love couples slow dancing to her music with a bit too much heavy petting at the end of the night.

Either way, the singing job was earning her a fair bit of money - and being a Shelby business, of course the pay was cash in hand. Verity avoided telling her sister where the money was coming from, lying and telling Nina that it was a bit of private psychology work she'd managed to find. Her younger sister was happy enough to accept this, unaware of the lie that lay beneath.

-

A week or so had passed, and Verity was settling into her new routine as she made her way to the Eden club late in the afternoon - ready for her usual rehearsals and sound check.

She had grown accustomed to being greeted by Arthur as she entered the vast main hall, with its expansive dance floor and elegant stage - but as she entered on this fine afternoon there was something in the air that sat stale - something that brewed an unsettling feeling in her stomach. There was surely something going on.

Before the former psychologist could linger on the gut feeling for too long, she turned and faced some motion she detected from the corner of her eye - watching as the gorgeous Scarlett sauntered across the room, a couple of empty glasses clutched between her fingertips and a half emptied bottle of Shelby gin in the other hand.

"Where is Arthur?" Verity piped up, watching the Italian-American girl plonk the used glasses and bottle of delicious gin on the deserted bar.

"They're having a meeting." Scarlett soon answered, leaning her small frame against the bar, dressed in a simple pink shirt frock, her platinum blonde hair raked up into a tight, over exaggerated ponytail that tumbled down her back in a vast spilling of sumptuous silvery-blonde.

Verity paused for a moment - 'they'?

"Someone else here other than Arthur?" The newly recruited singer asked, earning a scorning look from Scarlett.

"Tommy." She answered in an obvious tone, "and Eli Valentine." Scarlett added, raising her brows in a manner that would indicate caution.

"Who is Eli Valentine?" Verity asked, feeling as if she was treading into dangerous waters. Part of her didn't wish to know - anyone linked to the Shelby's wasn't exactly going to be the sweetest of people.

However the other half of her felt she needed to know. She needed to know how to play her cards right, and keep herself safe.

"He's big for fraudulent activities here in London." Scarlett said, in a surprisingly dismissive tone. "I don't know the full details - Arthur knows more." The blonde girl explained, pushing herself up onto the edge of the bar as her legs swung passively in her knee High suede boots that suited her down to a t. Scarlett always seemed to be wearing things Verity had never seen on other women before. She respected her unique style.