ⅵ - 𝘵𝘢𝘮𝘱𝘦𝘳

A white luminosity radiated from the winter sun as it rose on a new day

Verity had been awake for some time, she'd slept awfully given the whirring chaos going on in her head - and with the added unfamiliarity of a strange house and a borrowed staff night gown, it was all a recipe for a disruptive night.

She awoke in the morning and had made her bed, all silken and soft layers of sheets and quilts laid neatly to perfection - before dressing herself back into yesterday's clothes, feeling rather disgusting in doing so considering her unplanned stay.

Barefoot, she padded into the bathroom area and splashed her fresh face with a little water, leaving her skin a washed and blank canvas for today's makeup.

Using the small makeup bag she kept in her handbag, Verity applied the usual minimal makeup - but ended it fiercely with her 'meaning business' red lipstick. She brushed her hair out with the comb from her bag, gritting her teeth as she teased out the tangles from a night of tossing and turning - laying there awake and desperate to just fall asleep.

The psychologist collected her few belongings together, slipping her small feet into her mountainous black stilettos and headed out of the spare suite door.

She'd barely set foot on the landing when she practically ran into Tommy, who was just lingering there with a rather menacing and intimidating presence - but he did not seem phased at all about how odd it looked, with him just being stood there outside of the room.

"I think you'll find your fuel tank is more than filled up for the journey home." Was all he said, cigarette hanging from his lips and the clock hadn't even chimed 8 in the morning yet.

Nodding curtly, Verity clutched her handbag tightly and began to make her way down the stairs - Tommy following just a few steps behind.

"Well thank you for returning the petrol," Verity said, her eyes down on the dark oak stairs as she delicately placed each killer heel on the steps. "But I can't act too gracious, because you know full well you owed it to me." She said, conquering the last few steps before her stride confidently launched across the hard floor of the hall, the reverberating sound of her stilettos clicking off the high ceilings.

She was about to continue her lecture when the dining hall door opened, and going Charlie stood there in utter amazement.

"Verity! The fairy, she really did bring me a gift!" He chimed with pure childlike excitement, clutching the few pennies in his hands as if they were sacred rubies.

Crouching down, Verity got to his level and smiled widely, the smile on her red lips just as enchanting as a summer rose in full bloom.

"Excellent. Keep eating your greens and maybe she'll visit you more." Verity smiled, actively aware of Tommy's analytical gaze leering over them.

"Come on, Master Shelby." Francis called, slipping out of the door and reaching for the boy's free hand. "Let's get you prepared for when your tutor arrives." She prompted the child, leading him towards the stairs as Charlie waved madly at Verity - the biggest smile on his face.