xvi - 𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘵

After a long and mostly silent, tear filled taxi journey, Verity arrived outside of Scarlett's tall and elegant looking town house

After a long and mostly silent, tear filled taxi journey, Verity arrived outside of Scarlett's tall and elegant looking town house. It's white bricked front and high rectangle windows gave it the aura of grandeur that it's occupant often reflected on a day to day basis.

Verity paid the driver generously before climbing out of the taxi, the driver quite kindly exiting to retrieve her bags for her. Whilst he did so, she stared up at Scarlett's home and hoped to god she didn't burst into tears again. Like waves upon the ocean shore, the realisation seemed to keep dawning on Verity continually that she had lost her home. She just hoped she wouldn't be imposing on Scarlett too much if she asked to stay for a while.

A few moments later, case in hand and the cab sinking into the grey London horizon, Verity approached the three steps to the front door and gently pressed for the bell, hearing it chiming loudly in the hallway.

It took less than a minute for Scarlett to appear, and Verity reminded herself she had to pretend like she didn't hear anything of what she heard that morning at the club.

"Verity?" Scarlett asked as she opened the door slowly, drawing it wider when she affirmed with herself that her suspicions were right. The songbird was dressed in her pink chemise slip, matching pink silk dressing gown and her slippers. She wore no makeup, and had her newly dyed brunette hair spilling over her shoulders.

"Sorry to arrive like this unannounced..." Verity started, drawing in a deep breath to still herself – yet the onslaught of fresh tears were coming at the prospect of confiding her situation in Scarlett.

Fortunately for Verity, Scarlett was a good enough friend to see the signs of a threatening upset- and drew her friend inside the front door, into the warmth of the hallway – with its high ceilings, white walls and cozy trinkets that expressed everything about Scarlett.

"You're upset." Scarlett sighed, taking Verity's case and setting it down at the foot of the large staircase. "Let me make us some tea, and then we can talk about it when you're ready?" She smiled, as Verity nodded.

Wiping her tears away, Verity then realised she hadn't dropped an obvious comment yet.

"Scarlett," she said, sniffling, "your hair!?"

Rolling her large brown eyes, Scarlett shrugged her dressing gown back over her shoulders from where the garment had slumped down her arms.

"I'll explain later." She remarked in a laborious tone, making her way into the kitchen with her best friend as her priority.

-

A floral decorated tray sat on the long oak coffee table, wedged between the two opposite facing cream fabric sofas.

Two pretty blue porcelain cups steamed with their contents of freshly brewed tea, whilst the two friends sat down to talk.

All Verity could hear was the sound of her sniffling and the low ticking of the large grandfather clock that sat in Scarlett's hallway. She had grown tired of hearing her own sullen voice after recounting the events of the morning.