ⅴ - 𝘷𝘢𝘯𝘲𝘶𝘪𝘴𝘩

Throat dry, red lips slightly agape - Verity waited anxiously as the phone called through to her home residence

"Dr Grant's Psycholog-"

"Nina." Verity interrupted her sister's formal automatic office greeting.

"Oh - Verity!" Nina's happy voice chimed. "Is everything okay?"

Verity hesitated, her tongue dancing slowly over her lower lip whilst her brain fumbled for an answer.

"I'm fine." Verity started in a concise tone, clearing her throat gently as she looked around herself - feeling rather intimidated as she stood alone in Tommy's office, surrounded by towering bookcases and a roaring hearth.

"Something's come up, I'm afraid." Verity equivocated, taking a deep breath as she tired to keep this as short and sweet as possible. "I'll be back as soon as I can tomorrow."

After exchanging a rather confused acknowledgement and a gentle farewell, Nina finally called off the line and Verity placed the phone back into it's holder - her breath shaky as she exhaled slowly.

Dwelling in the solitary confines of the office, Verity shook her head, her long brunette hair falling into her face. She now questioned why the hell she had thought for a second she could let herself get away with sleeping with one of her clients. It was absurd. Maybe it was the adrenaline of the moment - knowing she had a secret lure to his mysterious ways - and after her car had been robbed of its fuel, she had no choice. Maybe it was the lack of control that gave her that small heady rush.

However, in the greyed, dull, fading sunlight that poured into Tommy's office through the large windows - Verity knew there was no way she could let Tommy have what he wanted. He already knew he had her wrapped around his finger to a certain extent - the fact she'd come all this way after his demand, with futile challenging. Verity knew she had to stand her ground, for if she gave him what he wanted then he would be able to fully manipulate her, and that was not something she needed him to feel capable of doing.

The office door then opened, the sudden movement causing her to jump. Verity quickly smoothed down her skirt and stepped away from the phone, her heels clicking slowly off the hard wood floor as she walked around to the plush leather seating at the front of the desk.

Tommy was on his way back in, an unreadable expression on his face as usual - whisky in one hand, and a glass of something clear in the other. Verity could only assume it was gin.

"Spoken to her?" Was all he asked, knowing Verity had wanted to call her sister, he then handed over the glass, standing close enough that she could smell the scent of tobacco around him and the deep muskiness of his cologne.

Verity nodded softly, her dainty hand cautiously snaked out, long fingers wrapping around the pretty crystallised glass.

Her hazel eyes flitted upwards as she took a sip of the drink, and instantly the potent alcohol content booted her like a shire horse kicking out. The gin was strong, burning a hot trail down the back of her throat as Verity forced it down - deciding she perhaps needed to have her discussion with Tommy before she drank anymore.