xlii - 𝘯𝘦𝘨𝘰𝘵𝘪𝘢𝘵𝘦

"Hi, Scarlett

"Hi, Scarlett."

The new mother could not believe her eyes at the ghost on her porch, one that her tormented her daydreams for endless months had now materialised in flesh, blood and sweet perfume on the doorstep.

In her arms, she cradled the 2 month old baby girl - bundled tightly in some warm blankets, kept safely from the cruelty of the unstable world in her mother's arms.

Through the creases of soft white cotton, Verity could make out the strawberry blonde tufts of hair.

"Verity- what... what are you doing here." Where there was once warmth in Scarlett's voice, there now lay undeniable nervousness and apprehension, her words delivered on a wavering tone.

"I thought you had left London after... what had happened." She added afterwards, adjusting her tight hold on her baby.

"I'm back, my clinic is up and running again after a series of events I really don't have the time to recount." The psychologist sighed, peering over Scarlett's shoulder and into the hallway - which was illuminated in soft golden lamplight.

"Is Arthur in?" Verity asked plainly, the simple question all but having Scarlett's nerves on high.

The dark haired singer clutched her daughter tightly, taking a hesitant breath.

"No. He's out with Eli." She replied quickly, tone rushed and panic - but mostly, evasive sounding. "What is it you want, Verity?" She then pressed, shifting her weight onto the other foot as the two women exchanged a rather distant and cold look at one another.

"May I come in? I think it's better if we don't talk out here." The psychologist added, with a more gentle tone to at least let Scarlett know she wasn't here with a poisonous agenda for revenge.

Scarlett looked back into the hallway, and stepped aside - allowing Verity inside as the singer checked the coast was indeed clear, before following her former best friend inside the smart London Town House.

Verity walked some paces into the hall, politely standing aside as she waited for Scarlett to close the front door.

Things hadn't changed all too much since Verity was last here, aside from the signs of new life. Peeping into the living room from her current vantage point, Verity could see the Moses basket in the front room.

It was strange how all the circumstances surrounding their lives had changed, how close they had been and now how they couldn't be any further apart.

"Would you like some tea?" Scarlett asked, although Verity could sense there was little intention in her words. She was purely being polite.

"No, thank you Scarlett. I don't plan on staying." Verity replied, offering a wry smile. "Congratulations, by the way. What's her name?"

The formalities felt so strange in the atmosphere where things were clearly far from fine.