ⅸ - 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘳𝘰𝘥𝘶𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯s

{{sorry for any typos - I wrote this on my phone in a blind spout of motivation

{{sorry for any typos - I wrote this on my phone in a blind spout of motivation. It's 11pm practically so I will go through and proof check when I can!}}

I'd also like to dedicate this chapter to peakysblinder ! Your fantastic well written fic and all your support on this story encouraged me to kick myself up the arse and write something ❤️

-

Verity's emotions at that precise moment were not too dissimilar to that of a petrified school child, shoved on a stage and feeling incredibly out of her depth. The rush of nerves, her feeling of great exposure and the guttural terror of rejection lingered over her like a storm cloud, whilst she fumbled quickly in her handbag for the old sheet music of her self composed piece.

Shakily handing it across to the gentleman playing at the piano, Verity stood there with a dry mouth and a feeling of teetering on the very edge of doom. Despite the blaring spotlights, her hazel eyes could clearly make out the square shouldered figures of Thomas Shelby and his older brother, and then the smaller seated figure of Scarlett Ebson, who had left Verity with a nervous feeling - Verity knew she was competing with a woman's whose voice could conjure angels.

It felt entirely alien to hear her own composed notes flowing so prettily from the piano, a song she'd slipped into her past - it's melodies often haunting her like a friendly ghost every now and again. It was only up until a few day's ago that Verity had really began to familiarise herself with the composition, after Tommy had warmed to it so greatly when he'd accidentally heard her play a section at his great manor home.

Her cue to sing was approaching fast, and all the former psychologist found she could do was shut out the spotlight blinded figures standing before her - and take her own eyes up into those obscuring dazzling spots of light and try to forget where she was. To sing as she had done a few days ago, in the safety of her office - greeting her musical piece like an old friend.

Upon hearing those gorgeous, enchantingly sullen tones - Tommy's lips curled into the smallest of secret smiles - knowing his brother and Scarlett's attention were firmly focused on Verity. He felt a private swell of smugness- once again, Tommy Shelby had gotten what he wanted.

The cigarette that floated to and from his lips as the gliding grace of his hand, puffed a steady stream of smoke as the Blinder pondered over how Miss Grant would look in a long flowing dress, owning the stage as she was doing in that very moment - without even knowing it.

About halfway through her song, Verity began to relax a little - especially upon seeing one of Scarlett's stiletto adorned feet bobbing along casually to the sultry sway of Verity's tones. The softened smile of Ebson's full lips was a good enough indication the awe striking singer was liking Verity's entirely different style of performance.

***

"Let me put on..." Verity crooned softly, feeling a sense of overpowering relief as she reached the end of her song, and had so far was unscathed.