xvii - 𝘪𝘯𝘷𝘪𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯

The new living circumstances worked better for downtrodden Verity more than she thought they would

The new living circumstances worked better for downtrodden Verity more than she thought they would. Living with Scarlett was like living with another, chirpier sister she had never known about. Scarlett's hospitality and friendship became a welcome distraction from the travesty of her family life – which was decaying inevitably – like an animal's corpse at the roadside.

A few weeks had passed since Verity had moved in with Scarlett and things seemed to be going well. If the pair weren't at the club, working, rehearsing or writing – they often shopped together, baked things or went for a long stroll. It was a nice breather from every other chaotic aspect of their lives – namely the club.

Unsurprisingly, Eli Valentine had showed up as promised in the club, invited by Tommy in the aftermath of that particular train wreck night at his party. The girls all but stayed clear of the 'business' side of things now – the most they'd done was politely greet the northern club owner before scarpering off to their dressing room to remain out of sight. Considering Scarlett's more than frayed personal relationship with Arthur – the jovial and lighthearted atmosphere from the early days had all but dissipated.  Of course, the pair of them had to speak for work – but it was clear that Arthur felt more desperate than Scarlett currently was. Not that Verity was blowing her own trumpet, but she felt she was rather the preventative in stopping Scarlett rushing back into Arthur's arms at his first call. She'd been quite the distraction, allowing Scarlett to focus more on friendships and her social life - showing her there was more to her existence beyond Arthur's touch.

And then there is the issue of the other Shelby brother. Thomas.

Verity has seen him briefly in passing, like wandering past a ghost. The pair hadn't really spoken at all, or had the chance to, since the night after the party. Verity felt she had really gotten somewhere then, only to be pushed back once again by the barbed wire fence surrounding the Blinder's heart.

The only times she saw him at the club were for meetings with Eli and Arthur. But as the weeks had gone on and the meetings had grown more frequent, Tommy's presence seemed to not be required. Verity was confused as to why it made her feel such a pang that she hadn't been able to have a word with him since after the party. She would constantly scold her thoughts and press them to calm down, but it was hard when she growing frustrated and concerned as to why she felt she ... cared.

-

It was early March, the air outside was still a stubborn presentation of the bastard cold. Like a stroppy child it lingered and seemed to not want to leave.

However the warmth of the club, and it's perfect quiet in the day allowed a sanctuary for Scarlett and Verity as they played about with some music ideas. The beautifully ebony grand piano on stage was under Verity's fingertips as she mused some notes together along with what Scarlett was humming. The pair chatted excitedly about lyrical ideas and song structure and melody, all whilst as troubled Arthur Shelby watched on from his office.