34th Chapter

Beginning to make our way out of the area, my eye caught something rather strange.

As I broke off from the others, I quickly swam over to investigate the strange structure in the seafloor. Now close enough to fully see it, I can tell it looks like some sort of vent. Taking out my scanner, I quickly scanned the strange object and skimmed over the info on my PDA. My eyes widened ever so slightly as I learned that the strange structure is in fact a vent.

Looking back at the vent again, several thoughts raced through my mind as I saw Peepers and other small organisms swimming in and out of the alien technology. The creatures didn’t even seem to be put off by the fact that they're coming in and out of some sort of tube.

Putting my scanner away, I quickly swam back into the Seamoth and docked it into the Cyclops before climbing out. As I stood on my feet, Marco asked me if everything was alright and why I had broken off from them for a while.

"Nothing's wrong so don't worry too much about it." I stated, making my way towards the cockpit. "If anything, I'll explain it later once we pick up Hange's group and return to base."  I said with a reassuring smile. After making sure everyone inside was ready, I turned on the engine and turned the ship around.

Armin stood in the back with Marco, conversing on the plant we had discovered and the eggs that Armin had grabbed. Looking towards Levi from my peripheral view, I thought I saw his jaw tighten as he swallowed. 'That's strange.' I thought as I turned my head towards his direction.

Levi glanced in my direction and quickly turned away before walking off towards the back engine section of the submarine.

I raised a brow in confusion before simply shaking my head and focused on getting out of the dangerous biome and to the others in one piece.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

The water became more brighter as we got closer to the shallows and I could make out the shapes of Sand sharks, some Gasopods, and a school of Peepers. Once we came closer to the biome, I grabbed my helmet and put it on, testing to see if they could hear me. “Hange, we’re coming up on the shallows, can you hear me?” I asked, waiting patiently for a response.

It was silent for a moment before Hange’s voice came crackling through the speaker. “Oh, hey! Yeah, hear ya loud and clear! We’re just about done here, so we’ll see ya soon!”

I smiled a bit and chuckled softly. “Alright, see you all soon.” I said, removing my helmet and placing it down beside me before pushing the sub onwards to our destination.

After a few more minutes, I rounded a piece of terrain and the shallows came into clear view. Going a bit further ahead, I could see Mikasa and Mike swimming around, with Hange and Sasha joining them after a moment.

Sasha turned around and began waving before tugging on Hange’s arm and pointing. Hange, Mike, and Mikasa turned around when Sasha had grabbed their attention and looked towards us.

I stopped the sub and waved them over, letting them know to come aboard so we could go back to base.

One by one, they swam over before I heard the hatch below open and their voices bouncing off the sub’s metal walls.

“Hello, people!” Hange’s voice sang out as her head peered up over the entrance to the cockpit. She climbed up before the other three joined her and removed their helmets.

“Hey guys, how’d the scavenging go? Did you have any troubles with the marine life around you?” I asked, turning to face them.

Sasha chuckled nervously, her hand scratched her cheek as her gaze roamed around the sub. "Well, at least we know why you said to be cautious of those Crashfish, hehe..."