𝑇𝐻𝐸 𝑀𝑂𝑅𝐸 𝑇𝐻𝐴𝑇 𝑌𝑂𝑈 𝑆𝐴𝑌 𝑇𝐻𝐸 𝐿𝐸𝑆𝑆 𝐼 𝐾𝑁𝑂𝑊

Edward felt the panic rising in his chest, biting back a growl that threatened to escape from his throat. A sudden terror elapsed inside of him, causing him to shake in the anger he had been subduing since he first thought this to be a possibility.

He heard his own voice, pleading, so low that he knew Gwen or Doctor Nadar could not hear him. No. Please. Again, and again like a record skipping.

Gwen was bitten.

She had venom trapped beneath her skin. He tried to breathe. He tried to understand...He tried to make sense of the black venom seeping through the human woman he loved.

And in the middle of his panic, he felt nothing but utterly confused. If the venom was in her body...Just waiting there? How did it work? Why wasn't Gwen screaming out in pain? Why had she not been turned yet?

Somehow, someway the venom was lingering inside of her. Waiting...Waiting patiently to shatter her entire life. Damning her to live a slow and an unforgiving life of immortality.

He felt sick. He couldn't trust his thoughts, spinning out of control because Gwen was in danger. More danger than he ever imagined.

Gwen peered over at him from behind Doctor Nadar with concerned eyes, her midnight-black hair flowing gracefully down her arms as she stared at his face, dark as gathering storm clouds, "Edward, are you okay?"

Her brown eyes focused on him with great concern. If he had not been so panicked, he would have felt touched by her kindness of thinking of him when her own life was in grave danger. He couldn't even imagine what he must look like...Inhuman. Panicked.

"You look paler than usual" Gwen teased, still looking concerned for him as he did not move. He did not say a thing, still spiraling in his thoughts of what was lingering under her skin.

"You should sit down," Doctor Nadar suggested to him, also turning to him with concern.

"Needles" Edward managed, inhaling after taking a step back. It was taking him all of his will to remain composed. "I'm not good with needles."

He thought the raven-haired woman would have laughed at his comment, maybe teased him. But Gwen merely gave him an even more concerned look. Raising an eyebrow at him, she peered at him as though she knew exactly what was going on in his head. As though she could feel the panicked anxiety of danger streaming off of him.

"I just need to take a walk" Edward said in a low voice, forcing himself out of her gaze as he turned his heels and walked out of the room as fast as humanely possible.

He made sure there were no orderlies around as he stormed through the hallways of the clinic, turning swiftly into the stairs until he made it to the rooftop. Without hesitation, Edward dialed his father.

"Edward?" Carlisle's voice asked within seconds of the ringer going off.

"THERE'S VENOM INSIDE OF HER!" Edward choked out, managing to speak about the horrors of the venom

"Venom? Edward what are you talking about?"

"Someone--The Volturi!" Edward snarled, the frustrating pouring through with Carlisle's calm demeanor. "They put venom inside of her! Inside of Gwen!"

Edward closed his eyes as he thought of the venom spreading throughout her blood system. Just waiting there...Taunting them. Is this why she was able to get away? Were they trying to send a message?!

He thought of Gwen with her copper skin holding a stone white tint, her eyes glowing a hundred times brighter than a slaughter scene. And the juxtaposition...Resentful, regretful. Always mourning what she'd lost...The thing she held most dear. The thing that she had fought for, almost died for...Her mortal life.