𝐼'𝐿𝐿 𝑇𝐸𝐿𝐿 𝑌𝑂𝑈 𝑇𝐻𝐸 𝑇𝑅𝑈𝑇𝐻, 𝐵𝑈𝑇 𝑁𝐸𝑉𝐸𝑅 𝐺𝑂𝑂𝐷𝐵𝑌𝐸

"I love you too" Edward whispered, holding her in his arms as all of his self doubts and guilt melted away.

For such an immortal being, he never once believed in fate. He did not believe he was destined for something so great. But in that moment, Edward truly felt as though the universe had conspired to bring them together at that very moment. For if he had never become a vampire and died as a human, he would have been led somewhere else. And she would have been led to someone else.

The fates chose differently for them both and in this universe, in their lifetime, they were led to each other. Despite it all.

"I think I always knew I did. From the first moment I saw you, I knew there was something that terrified me. I knew you would radically change the course of my life and I was terrified. Since the beginning you have always seen me: monster, man, magical entity--everything. In the short time I have known you, I learned about the beauty life could have. I learned how to laugh again, how to be alive...I was terrified to love you but I do...With every inch of my being. I love you. I always have, and I always will for eternity."

The vampire and the witch did not drop their gaze from each other, holding it steadily as the familiar magnetic pull inched them closer and closer together. The unspoken words they both had feared, now out in the open. Now out into the universe for them to hear.

Edward saw Gwen's cheeks gain a lovely shade of pink to them as she smiled, her tired eyes amused by his words as she said, "Did you...Did you practice that?"

For a brief moment Edward hesitated, being caught completely off guard and all expectations being thrown out the window as he let out a snort, which then developed into laughter.

"It's really quite beautiful" Gwen chuckled, as pure joy painted her face. "I forgot how good with words you were."

"And I cannot believe I have forgotten how you surprise me at every turn. It's good to have you back."

Without thinking, Edward moved his hand slowly to secure a piece of her raven hair behind her ear, as both of their eyes lingered on each others lips. He could hear her heart clearly, drumming at a peaceful pace. It was almost serene.

"Nothing makes sense but this," Gwen said quietly, leaning her head against his hand. "I feel like I'm waking up from a very long dream...I don't know what's real or not."

"It makes sense it would take some time. Maybe I can help you."

"I think it would be easier, to focus on this. At least for now" Gwen said quietly, looking away from him. He knew she was avoiding the discussion about Ron Weasley. And he could not blame her. He would not push her.

"Anything you want."

"You...um...You left Bella?"

He nodded, "I knew it was not right to marry her. I should not have gone through with it. And my decision had nothing to do with you. It was not your fault. I loved you and I knew it. I made you a promise, we spoke about what we would do to explore what we both felt and I broke it. I knew I did not love Bella anymore. I knew we would not work. I knew it the day the decision was made. I knew it every day after, even on--"

Edward hesitated as he gave an involuntary shudder thinking about what had occurred on his wedding night. He had not given it a second thought since he left Isle Esme, more due to the fact he went into a frenzy looking for Gwen. But he also knew this was not the time to bring it up to the raven-haired woman. She had enough on her plate.

"Even on--?" Gwen asked gently.

"It does not matter. This was my decision. I believed myself bound by duty and in the end, I knew it would ruin us. It was a poor decision that should not have been made. You're right, we could have found another way together. I should not have let you go and for eternity I will--" Edward hesitated once more, as he looked down to the beautiful human woman that loved him laying before him. She was alive. She was human. What kind of a monster was he? To put another human in his path? He would ruin her--He would ruin another humans life!