Chapter 6: Kagome's Arrow and Return of a Piece of Soul

"Inuyasha! He's transformed!" I yell; dragging their attention from each other's throats and back to the demon crow ahead of us.

He's doubled in size, his caws are loud and earsplitting; he swoops downward towards a village not too far off. The villagers below are clueless of what is coming their way. They live their lives scattered about with their friends and families as they carry out their everyday chores.

This doesn't stop the demon. His many eyes search the approaching crowd for the tastiest morsel and when he finds his target, his clawed feet stretch outward and open. With ease, he snatches a child from his mother's grip and bats his wings back up towards the sky. The child weighs nothing compared to the demon's new strength, and the cries of the boy are hard to hear over the cawing of the demon.

Inuyasha curses under his breath, "I told you! That crow demon feeds on humans!"

"No!" Kagome frowns. "You don't mean.... it's gonna eat him...." Her grip retreats from the bow and returns to Inuyasha's shoulder.

"The weight of the boy will slow him down." The thought of this has Inuyasha's lips curling into a wide grin; he even cracks his fingers loud enough to startle Kagome back to reality. I glance back to the demon and pay closer attention–we are picking up speed like Inuyasha said, but just enough that with one leap we are above him.

"Feel my claws, buzzard!" Inuyasha's muscles tense and stretch beneath me, his arm raises in preparation to slash but we begin to shake midair. Uncomfortable, Kagome tugs on her side of the half demon's back, earning a grunt of annoyance from him.

"No, idiot," she shouts in his ear, "save the boy first!"

The sound of Inuyasha's claws cracking again gives away he's not listening. She lets out an angry grumble, eyes narrowed she climbs her legs up onto his back, planting her feet solidly on his spine as she repositions herself. Her eyes dart straight down for the boy. Taking one deep breath, she leaps off, throwing all the weight back onto my side. She wisps the boy into her arms and out of the demon's grip with pure weight over the demon's strength. Below is a dirt road, it's a long fall but a survivable one.

The demon redirects his attention for Kagome, his sharp beak of a mouth opens showing the rows of razor sharp shark teeth ready to take in its prey. Inuyasha growls, we're shaking left to right from the sudden uneven weight making it difficult for him to aim his claws. He has no choice, if he doesn't attack now Kagome and boy will be caught in a mouth sharp enough to saw bones.

With little thought he swings back his left arm, claws cracking and muscles tensing. He doesn't realize it's the arm I am using to support myself. His claws burn red hot. I can almost feel them on my cheek, and he slices downward at the demon underneath us.

I lose grip with his strike and when his arm swings forward, my body slings off. Wind swooshes pass over my head and all I see is the sky as I fall back first to the world below. The closer I come, the more the sound of wind changes to the sound of streaming water. A silent scream leaves my lips, my guts clench and twist. I reach for Inuyasha.

The last thing I see before colliding with the river is Inuyasha reaching back.

Cold water swallows me whole and shows no mercy with its terrible rapids. My body is torn this way and that, rolling me with its current like a feather during a typhoon. I reach outward to grab anything to gain control but all I feel is rocks, pebbles and dirt of the river bottom. Nothing is large or strong enough to hold on to. I am losing air quickly.