Chapter 15: Human

"Don't you touch her!" It is Inuyasha, rushing up from behind me and passing along my side with a hand on the hilt of his blade. He aims for the elderly man, unsheathes his sword but it doesn't transform.

As he approaches, the elder's neck grows longer and longer and what was once a perfectly normal human mouth springs out two spider-like teeth. His face is contoured to a much uglier, inhuman shape as the teeth twist open his mouth as Inuyasha heads to attack. The spider demon eyes flicker from Inuyasha and I, and my heart beats quick when they fall solely on me.

I curse, turning on my heels and bolting for the corner of the temple to escape his gaze, but as I do so, I notice a shadow twisting towards me before ultimately I see just his head and neck in front of me. He slams face first into my chest, sharp pinchers clasp around the bottle with the shards before it is torn from my neck. I tumble backwards, air flowing across my almost naked chest where minor cuts bleed out an enormous amount of blood for their size.

"He has the shards!" I cry out once I land officially on my belly. The smell of blood tickles my nose, and up ahead I spot Inuyasha running around the corner. He takes one glance at me and grimaces—but it's not of disappointment... but something else, maybe worry.

"Get out of here." He mumbles, readjusting his blade in his hand as he darts for the demon whose body is now following in pursuit of its head. But as he once again tries to attack, a hand snatches him by the throat. His blade drops at my side, cutting through the thin wood below.

The demon jets Inuyasha against the wall, cracking the wood he smashes into, all while holding him a few feet off the ground. "How unfortunate that your superhuman powers had deserted you by the time I tied the final knot on my gauzy web of deceit." The demon snickers.

I shuffle back to my feet, my hands snatching Tetsusaiga as if it's natural in my hands. "You got this..." I whisper to myself. I throw the blade up to shift it better in my grip, and once it lands comfortably in my palm, I aim like a torpedo.

"Unfortunate for you, 'cause I got someone who knows how to fight back." Inuyasha growls. The demon looks confused. This is my chance.

I step on my opposite foot from my wielded blade and thrust the sword forward like a spear with all my strength. A groan leaves me as the blade rushes for my target and lands in the spider demon's left shoulder.

The demon hisses and then growls, dropping Inuyasha from his captivity.

I can't help but smile at my marksmanship. I've never been that great at gym, but I also never dabbled in swordplay or archery that my schools offered. Maybe I am a natural? But it doesn't stop the demon for long. His main concern isn't me, especially since now I am weaponless. He's still targeting Inuyasha.

Inuyasha lands, but it doesn't stop the demon's hand from slamming Inuyasha through the wall and back inside the building. The spider follows, awkwardly walking on all four as his limbs seem to only get longer with every step. By the time I reach the hole in the wall, Inuyasha is up in the air mixed within a gigantic spider web and the spider demon sits in the middle. Tetsusaiga has found its way on the ground again, just below the spider demon and almost out of touch if I want to be sneaky.

Shippo and Nazuna have finally caught up to us. They reach my side and step back in fear, Shippo squeals like the little boy he is and Nazuna covers her mouth in utter disgust and fear.

"Finally, the tiresome charade as a human has ended." The demon smiles, "Now die!" He hisses. His head springs forward towards Inuyasha.