Chapter 4: The Half Demon Inuyasha

"Pay no heed to Inuyasha, child," Kaede commands. She steps between Inuyasha and me as a barrier. "Ye must not let him have it."

All that's left of the warriors from the village rush out of the thicket of the forest with spears and swords in hand. They surrounded Inuyasha. He watches them impatiently.

"I'm gonna give you one last chance to willingly hand over the jewel before I slice your hands off to get it."

"Like hell, I will," I spit out; I take a step back to close off the distance between the forest and me.

A low growl echoes from Inuyasha's chest. "I hate having to wait," he pushes off his feet like a freight train towards Kaede and me. I don't hesitate; I turn on my heels and take off full speed in a random direction, having to immediately lower my head the moment I enter the dense forest. I am keenly aware of the footsteps that follow close behind, more so than the ache that takes over every inch of my body; it pounds and heats my body like fire.

I take a swift sharp turn and hear a tree collide with the forest floor behind me, reminding myself that that could have been me.

I hear the sound of whooshing above me. Instinctively I skid and duck. Inuyasha leaps over me and lands a good ten feet ahead of my path with a cocky smirk on his lips. My breathing comes in and out in short, painful pants and my vision is blurring again. I am doing too much to my body after the original demon attack.

A dozen pairs of feet thunder nearby before the villagers, Kagome - who is at least walking now -, and Kaede come into view. Some of the brave souls that have arrows left shoot at Inuyasha, but they bounce off him as they did with Lady centipede, but now, they shatter completely. Insulted at their pathetic attempts, Inuyasha bounds forward, using his reddening claws to slice away at the two trees above the warriors. They scatter just in time before the trees would have landed on them.

His actions tell me something. He's missing hitting them for a reason. He could have ripped them to shreds easier than the centipede.

"Who do you people think I am? You think you can harm me like I did that centipede?" Scoffs the half-demon. While he's distracted, I slowly take a step back towards a thicker mass of forest - but freeze when I see his ears twitch in my direction. "Don't you dare!" He growls at me, leaping in one fluid motion to land in the tree above me. I stumble back in response.

"I had hoped it wouldn't come to this," Kaede mutters. She pulls out a strange onyx-looking necklace that has a few fang-like beads mixed in, from her robes. How's that supposed to hel-

"Now it's mine!" Inuyasha yells, not at all aware of the old priestess behind him. When I glance back at Kaede I notice the necklace is no longer being held but is floating in midair. The necklace glows brilliantly, a purplish hue as Kaede chants foreign words I've never heard before. Sparks of pink and purple lightning shoot from the clasped beads as they fly towards Inuyasha, each bead comes to reposition themselves around his neck as it had appeared before.