The Lady In The Castle

I covered my screams as the attack played out. Everyday was the same, screaming, gunshots, and death. Everyday the bells rang, bringing death and chaos with them. I was almost completely used to it by the second week. We all prayed for Mother Miranda to save us but nothing happened. We hid in basements or closets, hoping not to be found. I was growing tired of this.

"I'm going to the castle!" My voice echoed around the room. "No! What if the bell rings!" I heard a few calls from around the room, though most were in silent thought. "Then... Then the bell rings." I held back tears as I thought about what could happen to me. "I'm leaving tomorrow.. Thank you for hosting me." I walked out and went to my own house. It was barely touched, due to no one being in it. I quickly packed up necessary items, including my dad's shotgun. I took all the ammo and left.

The town gates loomed over like a dark horse, silent and strong. I pushed through and walked out into the open. I shook in the cold as I took in the full of the situation. I found it hard to take the next few steps but I fought my way through my fear. The castle in the distance was my only guide, a white palace contrasting from the mountains. I trecked through the snow. No bells. I was wondering why they weren't going off. I soon entered a forest, it was silent and almost calming.

I didn't understand how quickly the forest became confusing and terrifying. The wind had picked up and the snow fell heavy. It was hard to see anything and the castle had been hidden from sight by the thick falling snow. Then I heard it, the bells.

I was quick to hide in the snow, the freezing white power making me shake. I heard the thundering of horse hooves as the beasts neared. I prayed to Mother Miranda to save me. The thundering noise of the beast army could be heard for miles, the noise hurting my ears, regrets filling my head. I knew I had to stay put until the second bell rang.

The ringing noise of the bell sent the beasts sprinting back to where they came, leaving death and destruction behind them. I left my snowy home and felt the cold breeze hit my face. Being in the snow created warmth and now that I was outside I remembered how cold it was. At least the wind was calming down and the snow had stopped. I was able to see the castle in the distance again, the windows shimmering in sunlight.

The snow storm has finally stopped and I noticed how close the castle was. It was around five miles away and all I had to do was look up to see which way to go. I was able to quickly leave the forest and follow a trail. I reached the gates of the castle quickly by following the old trail. "Castle Dimitrescu" I jumped with glee as I tried to push open the gates, nothing moved at all though. I pushed until it felt like my arms were going to fall off and then I saw it, a big hole in the wall. I ran over to it and climbed through, a wall of dead, thorny rose bushes greeting me when I got through. I looked around what seemed to be a garden, though the cold killed off all of the plants. Only a few evergreens stood. I pushed my way out of the tangle of dead roses. I heard a crack when I got to the center of the garden, I wasn't alone. A large bang broke the silence as my world went dark.

"New blood!" "Mother will love this!" "She smells delicious!" I heard female voices as I slowly woke up, intense pain flooding my head. "Let's take her to mother!" A sharp pain entered my legs as two weapons that I couldn't quite make out due to the pain fogging my vision. "My daughters! Who is this..?" I hear the beautiful voice of a much older woman. I opened my eyes to see a giant woman standing over me. She was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. "Wow..." I whispered as she kneeled down. She grabbed my hand and cut it. "She smells... Divine!" The large woman said before licking the blood streaming out of my bleeding hand. "This is the most delicious blood I have ever consumed!" She exclaimed. "Tell me.. What is your name?" She grabbed my chin and forced me to look at her. A heavy blush fell across my face. "(Y/N)" I just barely managed to get my name out. "(Y/N).... I'm Lady Dimitrescu, a resident, and the owner of this castle." She stood back up and went over to talk to what seemed to be her children. I was able to make out "Prey", "Keep her", and "Do not harm!". I didn't quite understand what was going on but I was glad to be warm. "Go wrap her wounds." And with that I was whisked away.

I was taken to a room that was mostly white. A few pictures of random people, one of Mother Miranda. I felt something being wrapped around my legs. Servants of the castle circled around me as they dressed my wounds. "Be careful here.. None of us are safe.." A servant said to me before taking me to a bedroom. The room was larger than my whole cabin. The large bed called my name as they slowly walked me to it. They laide down and I quickly passed out, the sounds of the world faded around me. All I could hear was the sound of a piano, a few servants chatting, and my own heart. As I drifted off the sleep I heard screaming, it was distant and strained. I knew where it was coming from. My village. I fell asleep to the sweet sound of a piano and the screams of my neighbors.