21

"Are you okay?" It was Damon that asked, long after the tomb, long after he had dropped Felix back off at his house, watching the teen sneak through the window, and long after Felix watched, through an unwanted vision, as Damon threatened Anna and her mother.

The vampire had let himself in through the now always unlocked window and was watching the teen sitting in his bed, eyes flickering to the advil and water beside his bed, "What?" Felix asked, exhaustion pulling at him as he watched the vampire come closer. Damon looked awful, heartbroken and almost as tired as Felix felt. And he could hear the whispers, a stream of 'katherine, gone, is he okay, pain, why, he was sick, something is wrong' he was trying to ignore it especially as Damon started to speak over his consciousness.

"You were unconscious for almost two days. I came to get you and you were just lying up here. Your mom said it was because of me, because you were trying to help me," Damon said, speaking over his eternal mantra of 'my fault, guilt, he'sgoing to leaveme' "What did you do?"

Felix didn't know how to answer, how he could?, but Damon was in front of him, and despite the words, he couldn't seem to block out how he wanted the vampire closer. "I wanted to help," he managed, "and I needed to check. To make sure it would all work out and then I just got lost," he said, his voice trailing off towards the end, as his mind snapped back to those woods and those doors.

'Worry' "Felix?" Suddenly there was a hand on his shoulder and Felix was snapped back, left smiling almost dumbly at the vampire who had moved to crouch next to his bed.

"Are you okay?" Felix asked instead, reaching out to grab the vampire's other hand and pull him onto the bed, scooching over on the large mattress to make room for the man now sitting somewhat awkwardly overtop of the covers.

Damon stared at him for a minute, and Felix could hear him thinking, deciding if he should push the boy or not, "She left me. She was never there. I guess you figured that out," Damon said, his voice going hollow as he spoke of Katherine.

"I could find her, I think," Felix muttered, watching as Damon's eyes widened slightly, "I think, I mean-"

"No, Felix, you were unconscious for two days because you were trying to help me. I can't let you do that again," he said, concern rolling off him in waves. "Now tell me what happened? Are you okay?"

"I think," 'he looks badmyfault, help him' Felix winced, looking down at the comforter as he brought a hand up to his head, trying to rub the intruding thoughts away, "I think that I enhanced my abilities or increased them," he said, "I'm pretty sure I can read minds now," he said, a borderline hysterical laugh escaping from his mouth.

Damon stared at him, his mind racing slightly, before letting out a quite, "What?"

"Think of a colour," Felix muttered, trying his best to focus on the vampires racing mind, 'thinkofacolour what readingminds thatsnotbluethatcan'tbe' "Try and stem your disbelief, it's making my head hurt. Also blue." Felix glanced up slightly, sending a weary look to Damon who continued to stare at him in awe. His mouth now hanging open slightly. "I was pretty sure I was feeling people's emotions before like I could get the general vibe of what was going on, but now it's like I can hear everything. That place it," Felix paused, gritting his teeth, "I was everything, it was awful and now it's like part of it followed me out here. I'm so worried that this isn't real, that I'm going to open a door and be back in that forest." Felix's mind drifted again,

Doors, so many doors, surrounding him, and blood so much blood everywhere. Someone is screaming. He is screaming. Help please hel-

"Felix," Damon's voice came back to sharp focus, and with the even sharper realization that he was in his own bed, Damon was next to him, and he was pretty sure he was losing his mind.