04

a door that must remain closed

There was a distant feeling of blood trickling down Felix's face, tears mixing in with the blood that was starting to run down from his nose. His head was pounding, his hands shaking, and his vision swimming. 

Everything hurt as he stood up on shaking legs, his head felt as though it was filled with cotton, and he could feel his chest struggling to expand with air. He couldn't breathe. The teen was slowly, but surely making his way down the stairs of the attic, moving as if he was in a haze, his hand clutching at the front of his shirt as if that would somehow allow him to breathe better. The walls all felt too close together, Felix felt as if he was seconds from getting crushed. 

"Fuck," he muttered, his hands ringing desperately through his hair, tugging on the roots trying to ground himself in the slight pain it brought.  Every time he closed his eyes he saw a flash of a gun and the groan and cry of the Salvatore brothers or their faces contorted into that of a monster. 

"Felix? Sweetheart are you okay?" His mother's voice was what finally brought him back to reality. She found him clutching the banister of the old home, face as white as a ghost, and a thin line of blood trailing from his nose. Felix's wild eyes looked up at her, pain and fear clearly written on his ghostly face. 

"Sweetie?" she asked again, rushing forward to wrap her arms around her son, her hand petting his hair as the teen stood there unable to move. He had long since stopped crying, but his breathing was still slightly ragged as his mom brought him to the living room and sat him on the couch, her face serious. "I think it's about time we talked, Felix," she said after a moment, his eyes trailing up to hers, trying to get a handle on himself. He wasn't sure this was the right time for a serious talk, but his mother looked determined. 

"I had always been a strange kid. I would always space out when I was drawing or writing which would usually lead to me staring at something I never remembered making," she started, her teenaged son's eyes narrowing slightly as she spoke, "my parents, your grandparents, died when I was young, so they never really had the time to explain any of this to me and I know I should have explained it to you earlier, but your father was normal and I supposed I hoped you wouldn't be burdened with this gift as well. You see the Rhodes family has always had a gift to do and see the impossible. We could sense tragedy before it struck, get feelings from others, and even see into the pasts of those around us. It's a great gift and a horrible curse. I eventually learned how to control it, how to block it, so I could have a normal life, but I now know that that won't be possible for you. Vampires have moved back into town, Felix. I know you have seen them and it won't be long before they see you. Our abilities are like a door, most of the time we are just seeing through the peephole and looking out, but you must always make sure that you don't open the door," She was speaking more urgently now, staring down at her son as if his life depended on this information and maybe it did. 

Felix's head was spinning. Everything was happening too fast. His mother had known all along. "I have to go Mom. I'm going to be late for a party," he said quietly, his voice devoid of any true emotion as he stood up. He couldn't bring himself to look at her. 

"Felix, please sit down. I know that this is a lot, but we have to talk about your visions," she started, reaching out to grab her son, only for him to slip away.

"I'm staying at Caroline's tonight," he said quickly, grabbing his keys and jacket from the front door before slamming it shut behind him. He could hear his mother's voice calling out for him, but her pleas fell on deaf ears. She had known all along what Felix was going through, yet she said nothing. She never once tried to help her son, and at that moment Felix hated her for that.