09

a deal with a devil

"Mom!" Felix's voice echoed throughout the empty house, the young teen pulled out his phone desperately searching for his mother's contact. Her car wasn't in the front yard and he couldn't, for the life of him, remember if she had told him she was going somewhere. "Please pick up," he whispered, locking the door behind him as he paced along the front hall, checking every window to make sure it was locked and the blinds covered it.

"Hey sweetie," his mother's voice answered and Felix let out an audible sigh of relief, "Are you okay? You didn't forget that I was going out of town for a bit, did you? I wrote it on the calendar," she reminded him, a few tears of relief escaped from his eyes as he practically collapsed onto the sofa.

"Um, yeah, sorry. I did forget, actually," he said, running a hand through his hair. "You're visiting some old friends or something, right?" he asked, trying to remember exactly why his mom was taking some time off work to leave. It was probably for the best that she was gone, Felix didn't want Damon trying anything with her.

"Yeah, some of my old college roommates," she responded, her voice holding a hint of concern in it, "Are you staying safe? Did something happen again? I can come back."
"No, no, no. Mom, I'm good. I promise," he said, forcing his voice to sound a bit more positive, relieved when he heard his mom let out a small breath on the other line.

"Okay, well let me know if you need anything, and make sure you keep that bracelet on," she said, and Felix had to stop himself from laughing.

"Of course, Mom," he said, the two quickly saying goodbye to each other before he was left alone in the darkness again. His hands shook slightly as he tried to regain his composure, exhaustion beginning to seep into his bones. After checking the door one more time the young teen made his way up stairs and to his bed room. Sleep found him quickly, but so did the dreams.

Katerina Petrova was sprinting through the woods, her dark green dressed stained with mud as she ran. In the distance he saw someone yelling after her, promises and lies falling from the stranger's lips. Fear was pulsing through Felix's very being he could feel her fear and the ideas racing through her head. He didn't recognize the man pursuing her through the woods, but the sense of wrong he got from him screamed vampire. The strangers name rested on the tip of his tongue, Katerina knew it, but for some reason he couldn't grasp it from her. "It's pointless to run, Klaus will find you wherever you are." And with that there was a new name echoing inside Felix's skull.

His phone was ringing when he woke up, Caroline's name popping up on it as picked it up, his eyes blurry from sleep, "Hey Care," he muttered, a headache already starting to form as he lay flat in his bed.

"Felix! You're coming to the game tonight, right?" Felix held back a groan as his dear friend reminded him of the saturday night game, there was no way Felix was leaving his house when he was sure Damon was waiting for him to do just that.

"Sorry, Care, I don't think I can make it. I'm not feeling too hot," he answered, forcing a small cough at the end of that statement.

"He's not coming, Damon," he heard Caroline mutter on the other end of the line, and he felt his spine become ridgid. Of course he was with her, sinking his claws into his best friend's mind. "Are you sure, Felix?" she asked again.

"Yeah, sorry, Care," he said again, his voice sounding steadier then he felt.

"Okay, well don't forget that you promised you'd take me to the founders party Sunday night," she chirped, and dread pooled in the teens gut, "I'll talk to you later, Felix!" And with that Felix was left alone again.